What type of hay does your chinchilla like most?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My chin gets the Oxbow Timothy, she especially loves the little fuzzy bits. I'm not quite sure what they're called. Every time I put in fresh hay, she goes through it all, picks them out and scatters the rest around her cage. :p She eventually eats that too, but she always goes for the fuzzy bits first.

I've been wanting to try the Orchard grass hay by Oxbow, I feel like she would love that.

my boys are liking the mini bale sold at petsmart lately. something Choice is the name of it, i just can't recall the whole name (i toss the bag the hay comes in when i bring it home. it's timothy, and i find it's actually pretty good quality for the 3.99 i pay for the mini bale (twine included! lol), and it's easily twice as much hay as a small bag of Oxbow (the only size bag at my local petsmart).

occasionally i'll get a bag of Oxbow botanical for them too, and mix it in with the other timothy hay to make it all smell really good. they herbs fall to the bottom of my hay bag with all the chaff, and that makes for some nice chaff to make hay cookies with.

i've been trying to get some good quality horse hay in, but everywhere i've looked so far has stored their hay outside, and i don't want a yucky bale that could have been rained on, has bugs all in it, or has birds crapping on it. yuck.

i've been trying to get some good quality horse hay in, but everywhere i've looked so far has stored their hay outside, and i don't want a yucky bale that could have been rained on, has bugs all in it, or has birds crapping on it. yuck.

I'm the same way. I'm worried that it could be moldy. Not to mention, I only have one chin! So I'd have hay forever! I wish I could find someone in my area to share the hay with me. So for now, I guess I'll stick to buying Oxbow.

The agricultural products store near me (called CowTown) sells small bales of high quality hay meant for treats to horses so it has to be better then regular hay. This is usually the case but not always. Still, at $10 for about 30 lbs, it is a dozen times cheaper then any bagged hay and they do store in indoors. I do make my own hay when the grass is long... cut with a swather-like blade (electric motor) and sun-dried... lasts me a few months. Fresh grass happens half the year.

I buy 40 oz bags of zupreem timothy hay off of petstore.com. They have very reasonable prices and good quality products

I haven't tried oxbow yet, but Eleanor only like Kaytee Timothy hay. I got some L&M farms hay and she wouldn't eat it. So it went to the goats

To anyone who is coming to the show is Seattle next month I will be selling 5 lb bags of hay for $5.00. This hay is incredible! My hayguy is a grain inspector for the state and so is very picky and very knowledgeable. The hay is a orchard timothy grass mix. It is organically grown having only been fed water and cow manure. It was just harvested and dried immediately after it was harvested. It never had a chance to get rained on since we haven't had rain in weeks so 0 chance of mold. It went straight from the pasture into my barn. I am also preparing chew sticks to bring and sell at the show. So far I have grapevine and crabapple, but am also planning on Apple, pear and other varieties.

I buy Oxbow Western Timothy hay. I have to special order it but I've gotten bad hay in the past(different brand)and one of my guinea pigs got really sick so I'm picky now. I buy the 40 oz bag for 12.99. My chins love it. :)

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

I use and sell Stanley timothy hay and my chins love it. I get it in the compressed shrink wrapped bales, so when I cut open a bag it doubles in size. I sell it by pick up only because shipping would be sky high.

Like the majority of people that have posted. I use oxbow timothy. I've tried others and my girls either didn't eat it at all or didn't eat much. I buy it from Drs.Foster and Smith. Like 60 ish dollars for the 50 lb box and free shipping. I found that when I bought the smaller quantities the quality wasn't always good but the big boxes have always been really nice.

I feed orchard grass and alfalfa. About 50/50. I live in Oregon so hat from the feed stores is high quality and always looks ands smells awesome.

Timothy as staple just switched from Oxbow to the hay from the wonderful AG store in town. I love knowing I am supporting local farmers and it smells amazing. They also get botanical, oat, alfalfa, meadow, and orchard grass. A different type every night with their timothy. Some are oxbow brand others from the local feed store. Spoiled nuggets. I also do hay cubes nightly as well.

Back