What type of flower/plant is this?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoof

Kung Fu Chinny!
I pass these when I walk around town and I'd love some for my yard. Does anyone know what they are?

Both pictures are from the same plant.

Attachments

• Flowers1.jpg
    Flowers1.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Flowers2.jpg
    Flowers2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 93
:)That would be Lantana! I love them because they usually thrive for me.In some areas they can even sucessfully be perennial if they don't get too cold/wet in the winter.

Those are really pretty. I'll have to show them to Daddy, maybe he'll be interested in a few.
I did read this though.... (So he'll have to consider it long and hard)

WARNING: Pets have reportedly become ill after ingesting lantana. The unripe berries are known to be very toxic and the foliage toxic to livestock.

Thanks!

And yea... I think I'll have to pass having the chickens and such. As pretty as it is I don't want anything toxic in my yard.

You might want to do a search on all the flowers in your yard. I recently learn about 90% of the flowers in our yard are actually toxic to dogs if they chew on them.
We never noticed until my 2 Tasmanian Devil Chihuahua's ate something that poisoned them last weekend. Turned out it wasn't one of the flowers (was a dead copperhead) but was rather shocked to all of us to learn all my dads flowers that he's grown since I was little are toxic to our dogs.
Tulips, Hydrangeas, Easter Lilies, Day Lilies, etc....

Last edited:
You might want to do a search on all the flowers in your yard. I recently learn about 90% of the flowers in our yard are actually toxic
This is the south so I expect most of everything to be toxic... bugs, critters, plants, food (j/k).

What has genuinely surprised me is the amount of edible things around. I found a few wild onions last year, little did I know there are thousands upon thousands in my lawn and everyone else's. Wild strawberries, blackberries, honey, hearts of palm, clover, it really is quite a smorgasbord out here.

Of course some plants are so toxic looking at them might kill you, so it is a trade off.

They teach an edible wild plants course at the college, I've been thinking about taking it.

Clover is edible?!? Doesn't sound appealing.

Daddy just built a wood fence around our drive way and he made wood flower boxes and attached to it but doesn't know what he wants to put in them.

I showed him the ones you posted a picture of and he likes them, now he is debating if they will live in it.

:rofl:Ya'll brought back a funny memory.My sweet hubby surprised me on our honeymoon with a first class dinner train trip in the mountains.Well he already knew he had a country gal (even at the age of 32).They brought the dinner salad out and I looked down at it and promptly began my best goat bleating(mind you I can get a buck's dirty looks when I call them from the road).It was what I called and forever will be known in our household as a "yard salad"!LOL Everything in it I could name from our pasture!So here we were in this fancy first class dining car with me bleating like a goat,my husband trying to shush me and finally both of us laughing til we cried!One of my most cherished funny thing happened memories!:hilarious:

yes clover is safe for chins.. however, pregnant ones shouldn't have any.
Pregnant ones shouldn't have the blooms. Same goes for pregnant anything. The rest of it is fine.
So here we were in this fancy first class dining car with me bleating like a goat,my husband trying to shush me and finally both of us laughing til we cried!
lol!! That is awesome!

Latest posts

Back