What to feed toothless chinnie?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A surrender chin came to me, and what a beauty! Unfortunately she is missing most of her molars. IDK if the cause was raisins & sugar, or some other freak thing because she is from excellent lines. Not sure how many molars she has but a soft diet is necessary. She won't touch hay or pellets. I have been hand feeding her globs of Critical Care, and she took a couple water softened Equine Senior pellets. She loves cheerios, and stuff she can grind off, like Apple Tassies. Previous owner reports she would occasionally eat a Mazuri pellet,vand enjoyed corn flakes. I would like to avoid corn products.

If anyone can instruct me on a high fiber soft diet for her i would really appreciate it. I need tofigure out a good diet for her before i can feel good about re-homing her. Luckily she likes to be hand fed, and she is really flashy so she should have a new home soon. I have 50+ other chins to worry about, so i need to resolve this and find a nurse for her.

Thanks so much!!!

I don't know if it is nutritionally correct, but I used a coffee grinder to pulverize pellets, along with rolled oats. Don't know if that would help or not.

I really don't know how you are going to re-home her. That chin is always going to need dental work and people don't want that expense or trouble. As for diet - I have a 'formula' that a good chin vet told me that she use herself on her dental problem chins when she had them. I have found it works. Pre-heat over to 250. Put the pellets in a colander. Run water until it is very hot. Pour hot water over the pellets - drain. Then put pellets in a baking dish and bake for 30 min. This puffs up the pellets and makes them less dense. I then put the pellets in a container and put in the refrig. so they don't get moldy easily. If the chin doesn't like that you could put a LITTLE back-strap molasses in the pellets - mix in.

I had one who lost most of his teeth, they still need filings as frequently as regular malo chins and are more prone to periodontal disease and infections. Hand feed critical care as the main food source, it has all the chin needs as far as nutrition and fiber. As far as rehoming this chin, that is another subject since IMO this chin is not adoptable unless it goes to a experienced owner who is willing to commit 110% of their time and money, and if that owner is found he/she needs their heads examined.

Thanks for the advice! I have two qualified applicants for her already! They know about her issues. She is flashy and free with all accessories, so i will be able to weed out the ones who are clueless in phone interviews.

Any more advice advice from chin-land? Recipes?

Find a cheap reliable source for critical care and 10ml feeding syringes, its all the chin needs. I have fed critical care to malo chins for years with no problems, I add lifeline to it when I am fighting weight loss. Get this chin some x-rays, the new owner needs to know what it going on that is not visual and make sure they have a really good vet who knows chin teeth. I don't know how much you know about chin teeth and what this chins outcome will be, but I hope you are being totally honest with the new owners about the potential of spending 1000s on teeth and unless all the teeth are removed the prognosis will still be fatal.

Last edited:
I used a coffee grinder on the pellets and old fashioned oatmeal. Add a little water to make it mix and put on a ceramic plate. Scamps ate like this for 3 years before we had to euthanize him.

Back