What to do...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kawaii_Hedgie_Chin_Love

Sadly, Muffin passed on today. I have to admit I was kind of expecting it, but not so soon. After completely flipping out for a while, I kind of figure I need to do something with her. Right now she's just in a box on the floor next to me. The obvious suggestion would be to bury her, but she was extremely special to me and literally the sweetest chin you will ever meet, and I want to do something more for her. Not to mention all the health problems she's had leading up to today, I definately feel like she deserves something to remember her by. But what? I got her pawprints in a piece of clay, but I really feel like it's not enough. Any suggestions? I'd like to get her creamated but I heard it's expensive... :cry3:

I am so sorry for your loss. I don't have any good suggestions for you, but I always bury my lost pets in a pretty area of my flower gardens so they are surrounded by beauty.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Wish I had ideas but I really don't.

i had my bunny cremated - regular cremation can be expensive but most places have lower prices for "exotic" pets. it may be worth looking into the company in your area. sorry for your loss. have you considered planting 'forget me nots'?

Try calling around. I cremated my ratgirl and it was only $80 for a private cremation - that way I could get her ashes back. Now she is in a little box (made just for her) under a picture of her in my room. I get to say hi to her every day.

Sorry for your loss but yes, I was going to say the same thing to call around. I was quoted $200 for my first chin to be cremated when he passed. I ended up using my boss' vet who charges everyone the same price and had Whiskers cremated for $100. My daughter wears a little bit of his ashes in a hand blown glass pendant. I also like Stacie's idea of having a piece of their fur in a locket.

It may sound cheesy, but I have a pet cemetery. All of my family pets have special meaning to me, so whenever one passes, we have a burial. Shortly thereafter, I make a tombstone out of a stepping stone. I'm not sure if you are artistic or if you know someone who is, but I usually put the pets name on the tombstone, dates and a painting of the pet on the tombstone. The cemetery is just a garden area surrounded by a picket type garden fence and I've planted flowers around it. It is my way of memorializing my pets.

There are a lot of ways to keep that little piece of your baby with you. There are also PLENTY of people who go through this every day and miss the dickens out of their fur kids. This might be a good place to start, at least to get some prices on cremation (looks like about $200 for a small animal in your general area), or find a nice headstone for her in your yard, etc.:

http://www.pet-loss.net/resources/MI.shtml

I've always had my animals cremated.
A friend of mine also has her cremated and then she makes a stepping stone with the ashes mixed in.

I had Kuzu cremated. I think it cost me $100 at the vets office. I bought a little wooden jewelry box at michaels for a couple bux and put his little baggie with his ashes in there. I still haven't decorated it but I will when the time is right.

i've heard of a lot of people cremating the animals i have never done it with a chin but i have with a dog and i don't think it was that much when i did it. another thought i have heard of people who have taken part of their fur and made these rose buds out of the fur. i have only seen one and no idea how it is really done but i think anyone who does pelting could help you better on that one. there is also the option of having the chin pelted. not sure how you feel about that but it would allow you to pet her every now and again if you would like. i have thought about it with some of mine that have passed but not done it yet.

i am very sorry for your loss there is nothing that can explain the hurt a person goes through when a beloved pet passes. RIP Muffin.

I also had my dear baby Harley cremated when he passed.
It was a $110 for the cremation and $75 for the walnut memorial box.The box is a sealed box with a plaque on top with his name and dates on it and a place to put a picture on the front.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :flowers4:

I live in a condo, so having a little grave is out of the question. When Baby died, the grief counselor at the vet offered to get his whiskers for me, since I loved them so much. I then had Baby cremated at the vet, but did not opt to have his ashes returned to me. I treasure his whiskers; I have several pieces of Kristine Kasheta chinchilla art, and I have added some of Baby's whiskers to them.

I have decided that when my next chinnie dies, I will probably have him pelted by one of my rancher friends and be able to keep him with me and pet his fur forever. If this is something you would like to do, just place her body in the freezer until you can locate a rancher who will pelt her for you.

Back