What to do with a lonely chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently acquired a black velvet male chin named Howie. He is a young chin, but not a baby. He was alone at the breeder because she hadn't paired him off yet and he was an escape artist. I have solved the escaping problem now i want to tackle the loneliness. I have tried to intro him to every group, I have and each time someone does not like him. He picks on younger chins and my older chins beat him up. I have one male that calls to him at night. That call back and fourth til they wake me up. But when i try to into them they fight. When i move their cages close they try to fight through the cages. What is going on with these boys?

Mabey try to put their cages near each other but leave a space so that they can't reach each other. Also try clipping their wiskers short. Or the vanilla on nose method.:)

it does take time and patience to introduce chins. I'm sure your already know this. As mentionned, put the cages close to each other. and on a daily basis put them in the playpen together under close servellence. do this for a while and see if it works. it is important that neither chin can be above the other to avoid domination. you can put all the shelves at the same level and several hiding places. but it will take time. you can put vanilla on the nose if you see that it's not working. Clipping the wiskers is a last resort.
Do not worry, you will be getting alot of advice on this, so you will have plenty of ways to choose from.;)

You also might have a single boy chin on your hand. They don't always get along with other chins as you know. Rather than pushing the issue or ending up with injured chins, keeping him a single might be the best option. You can keep him plenty busy by rotating chin chews

You also might have a single boy chin on your hand. They don't always get along with other chins as you know. Rather than pushing the issue or ending up with injured chins, keeping him a single might be the best option. You can keep him plenty busy by rotating chin chews

I agree. I have a single girl I thoight was lonely and when I found her a friend and tried to intro it turned out badly. Now she is just happy as can be all alone in her own cage.

I agree with eveningchin and paris26, some chins are just loners. This very same thing happened to me when I got my first chinnie. I thought she was loney- she cried all night some nights. I deceided to get her a friend and forget it! Over the years I have tried to introduce her to 7 other chins without success. She's a real sweetheart towards her people friends, but to this day she is aggressive with other chins. You can't even let her out for playtime without taking your eyes off of her for one minute, she'll even bite them threw cage bars during playtime. Give him lots of people attention and he'll be just fine.

Back