What to do when chins don't care for hay?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kara315

Neither of my boys have cared for hay lately. Tigger occasionally nibbles on the hay cubes. But neither has really touched the loose hay in awhile. Should I just switch brands a couple times and see if they like a different one? Maybe put it in both levels too. Is it essential they eat hay?

Also,
Has anyone had a Chin that just didn't care for chewing on wood? Eeyore hasn't chewed on any wood chews in forever, which resulted in all his teeth being pretty bad which is getting treated, Is it possible he will get into it again once his teeth are better? The vet seemed pretty surprised to hear he really never chews on wood. I can't remember the last time he did, and I switch the types, sizes and shapes and have multiple hanging toys as well.

First, have they lost any weight or shown any other signs of potential health issues? Change in eating habits can be a symptom of something else. If poo looks good, weight is normal, pellet eating is normal or increased, then they're probably fine.

Second, is your hay nice and dry and good smelling? If they think something is off with it, they may not eat it (which is a good thing).

Most people believe that yes, hay is necessary. There have been ranchers and some pet owners who only feed pellets and say their chinchillas do just fine with just that. I think nutritionally, just good quality pellets is enough, but I do believe that hay is necessary for wearing down molars, improved digestive health, and just pure entertainment value.

With that said, some chinchillas just aren't too crazy about it. Others eat a ton of it. I do think you should try to get your chinchillas to eat more of it.

If a chinchilla has a sore mouth, he/she may not want hay (that would explain why Eeyore isn't eating any). Some chins don't like cubes; some find them fun for shredding, but not eating. You can try switching the hay up to a different kind. Trade off every once in a while, giving timothy one week, orchard grass the next, etc.

You could also have one or two days a week where you remove their pellets for a day or two, so their only option is hay. I let my crew run out of pellets in their dishes at least once a week so that they will finish off their hay and any pellets that they've thrown on the floor (make sure they have plenty of 'fresh' dry hay).

If Eeyore is having teeth issues he is probably getting them filed? I wouldn't focus on hay eating for him until his mouth is no longer sore. Just make sure he is eating something. Some chinchillas require hand feeding after filing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back