What to ask during 1st vet appt?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tati121

Hi everyone! Watson and I have our first vet appointment tomorrow and I just wanted to know if there were any specific questions I should be asking? Watson is 7 months old - am I correct in assuming that mouth x-rays are unnecessary at this point in time? I also know that hair ring checks don't usually start until age 1 so I don't have to worry about that either. I just want to cover all my bases!

There is nothing (to my knowledge) wrong with Watson, I am just taking him for an overall wellness check. I am aware that chin's do not require yearly vet visits but I want to get his medical history started nonetheless. Therefore I do not consider this a waste of money. I also currently have about $2,000 in my chin emergency vet fund. My vet's office also offers boarding for chin's but they need to have had a vet visit in addition to a one-time fecal exam in order to qualify for boarding which is another reason I want to take Watson. The hospital I will be taking Watson to is The Center for Avian and Exotic Medicine in NYC ---> http://www.avianandexoticvets.com/

Thank you for any and all help!

What to ask--"Hi are you familiar with chinchillas, have you ever seen or taken care of a chinchilla before?" That would be my first question. My other questions would depend on the answer. If the answer is no, find another vet who has. If the answer is yes then have them show you how to do a hair ring check, it's best to be prepared for this. You do not need mouth xrays. There is not much they do at a chinchilla visit, they should listen to the heart for signs of a mumur. They should check the noise in the gut to make sure their are auditory signs of things working there.

They may ask you what kind of feed you are giving, they MAY try to tell you it is ok to feed fresh fruits and vegetables. If they do it's up to you to tell them they are incorrect with their information or say thank you and know you are not going to give them fresh fruits or vegetables.

A regular check up is not necessary for chins, but it does help to establish your patient relationship with them

You could also ask them if they are familiar with the forum and if they are not let them know there is an incredible amount of splendid and reliable information here.

I would give Watson a nice dried rose hip for his ordeal when he gets back home lol!

Latest posts

Back