What the best brand of hay?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't see a poll set up but to me the best hay is a hay that "your" chins will eat. For instance my boys love the oxbow hays but quite a few members here say their chins aren't into them. There are quite a few hay threads in the diet section of the forum where several brands are discussed.

The best thing is to just experiment with a few different types of hays and see which ones your chinchillas like.

Yep it's up to your chins

Mine absolutely love the oxbow hays.. Especially the alfalfa
Bought them the oat hay for the first time, we'll see how they like that

The best hay is the hay your chins will eat, even if it is kaytee or something like it. Mine hate Oxbow timothy but love oxbow alfalfa. For timothy they like APD.

I just posted a thread similar to this one! Wondering if i should be choosing one over the others, but lately my chins have loved All Living Things Natural Timothy Hay. I can buy a huge bag at petsmart and never had any problems!

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11208808

My chin absolutely loves All Living Things Natural Timothy Hay! He rarely ever leaves any left in the hay bin in the mornings.

I bought the bag only because it was the greenest of all of the hays that they had. Oxbow has kind of been slacking locally with their hay selection- or maybe Petsmart just has a lot of it in stock and it's getting old, because it's normally not very vibrantly green.

Kleenmama's (www.kmshayloft.com) is the nicest hay I've ever seen, especially the blluegrass. However any decent quality, good looking grass hay is suitable. I buy in bales, buying 2lbs for $10 seems insane when you can get 50-70lbs for $5 or so.

I really like Kleenmama's hay, but I haven't tried any others. I have tried hays from local feed stores, but wasn't impressed with the quality. Shopping for hay in bulk is very troublesome and you have to REALLY look around a lot to find anything decent.

Kleenmama's (www.kmshayloft.com) is the nicest hay I've ever seen, especially the blluegrass. However any decent quality, good looking grass hay is suitable. I buy in bales, buying 2lbs for $10 seems insane when you can get 50-70lbs for $5 or so.

I guess when you say it that way it does sound a bit crazy. But then again seeing as i only have 3 chins atm, the thought of me coming home with 50 - 70 lb bales of hay may frighten my family.... LMAO

I use my main hay from a local organic farmer that grows it for horses. BUT my boys love love love Kleenmama's bluegrass hay. They don't waste a blade of it and I use it like a treat for them. They remind me of little kids slurping up spaghetti the way they eat it. I have a cranky old man chin that sometimes decides he doesn't want to eat the regular hay and mixing in the bluegrass always works to get him to eat all of his hay.

Add another fan of Kleenmama's. I get my chins the bluegrass, 3rd cut (their fave when it's available), and 2nd cut. I haven't received a bad batch in 3 years of ordering from them and my chins love the hay.

Latest posts

Back