what snacks do you feed your chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lola

i feed my chin dried banana chips and raisins. is that bad? what do you feed yours? thanks in advance.

Those are not considered healthy food treats because of the amount of sugar in them. A better choice would be rose hips, rolled old-fashioned oats, half of a plain mini Shredded Wheat cereal, or a Cheerio.

My guys get a rose hip about twice a week, but I've even cut out the cereal in favor just plain old oats.

My first/oldest chin(who is now my little old man at nearly 14 yrs old) used to get every horrible treat I think-pre-knowledge of how horrible they really were (raisins, dandelion drops, some weird dried fruit covered yogurt drop, fresh greens here and there, he even inhaled mealworms when I accidentally knocked over the cup into his cage.) Then I started to educate myself and now he goes just as crazy over oats, rosebuds and my groups personal favorite-shredded wheat. Now I have 5 chin's - 4 which have never even got their paws on the crappy treats :) Oddly all 5 of them will throw rosehips back at me when I try to give them a little variety instead of just their plain shredded wheat.

The concentrated sugar in dried fruits is not good for chinchillas--they really should have no fruit so that means no fruits of any kind--fresh or dried. The best treats for chinchillas are dried whole or crushed rose hips, 1/2 of a small plain shredded wheat, 1 plain cheerio, small pinch of old fashioned (not quick cooking) oats.

My kids get herb salad & cookies from Essentia, "tasty tidbits" from RCR, goji berries, shreddies, rose hips, and rose buds. That's what I can remember off the top of my head. You can get a lot of goodies from folks on this site.

I usually give mine rosehips, chinnie cookies (a recipe found on this forum), oats, and shredded wheats.

rosehips, rosebuds, dandeloin roots, whole wheat cheerios, apple branches, apple pumice and hubiscious(sp?)

My chins like old fashioned rolled oats, whole or crushed rose hips, hibiscus petals, and they're loving the tasty tidbits we just got from Quality Mutation Chinchillas. Apple wood is also a favorite, and they see it as a treat.

You can get a 4x4 square pot of organic wheatgrass at the grocery store for $3-4. I like to give them about 4 pieces of grass per chin every once in a while

I used to give treats, that was until I learned what is good and bad for them. Now the closest thing to treats that they get is Ryerson's supplement once a week. They are doing great and they think the supplement is a treat.

Rhino's treat stash has rosehips (both whole and crushed/sifted), plain spoon size shredded wheat, homemade hay cookies, and small apple twigs. he also gets the occasional pinch of alfalfa leaf for a treat.

Latest posts

Back