What price is appropriate?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChilliPepper

I may be fostering 2 standard males by this weekend. They are with a temporary foster who is ready to send them on to me. The owner has expressed a desire to sell these boys with their cage rather than give them away for free. The cage is a nice metal one, best match I could find online is a Ware Living Room Series Ferret home. What would be an appropriate amount to ask for the chins plus cage? The chins are located in the Monterey Bay area, if that matters and are standards, approx 3 years old. One has an ear tag, the other does not.
Thank you.

A fair and reasonable price is really whatever you both can agree upon. Pet chinchillas typically sell for $35-$100 wholesale from breeders and $100-$200 retail in pet stores on average. I'm not familiar with that cage and it's cost new, but a good used cage would probably bring $50-$100. So, you're probably looking at between $100-$200 as a good fair price for 2 pet chins and a nice cage.

Thank you Mark. I will get some pics of them once they are here and settle in a bit. They were matted and dirty when I went to see them. One had had loose stool recently as he had a very dirty bottom. I am also concerned because one has no hair on his ears, I may take them in for a vet visit to get them looked over. They were so happy to have a dust bath. The gal had the house and she had the dust, but she didn't know to put them together. She thought the dust house was for sleeping. I put the dust in and made little scratching noises with my fingers. OMG, talk about popcorning!! They got in and rolled around and ended up just chilling out in it for a while.
The cage is very nice, small compared to the monstrosity my two spoiled boys live in, but well built and easy to clean. She also has a wheel in there that they use. That will give me a way to advise her on price. Her original thought was that she was going to sell it all for $300. I knew that was a bit outrageous, but didn't know any further. Cage prices have changed since I got my guys 7 years ago.

I agreewith Mark on the price range. They are adults, pets, and one may have health issues with the loose poo. I'd make an offer and express how much love you'd provide and how much you know about them. Most buyers won't know anything about what they're getting into.

Latest posts

Back