What pellets are best?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmonty0726

I need help identifying pellets I bought from the pet store. They bag them there. Or a recommendation that is similar
2370ce496c3da6253f8b4cc551a735bd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no idea what pellets those are. I agree that the grain and other things in the mix could encourage the chinchilla to just eat the parts he/she likes and not the pellets. Plus, when you buy bulk food at a pet store, there is really no way to know how old it is. As time passes the pellets will lose nutrients.

There are a bunch of threads giving advice on which pellet to feed. I personally use Oxbow Deluxe, which is kind of expensive, but since you only have one chinchilla it may work for you. Otherwise, search the forum a bit and you'll get a lot of different perspectives on what to feed.

I would never buy feed that I don't know what it is. I want a package and ingredients unless I am buying from a trusted source (like Sandi on here). Those could be nothing but hay pellets. You don't know how long it has been open, who (or what) has been digging around in it, what the expiration date is.

Also, as stated above, chin feed should never have anything mixed in with it. Just pellets in one bowl, supplement in another.

As far as the best feed, I tell people to buy the best quality feed that they can get in their area that they can afford, that is for chins. There are many threads on here asking this same question. If you do a search you can read through and figure out which one you can get locally and give it a try.

I order things offline all the time. The soul reason I bought it is because that what she was used to and I didn't want to do a blunt switch and make her sick. I found out they is the Sunseed Vita Prima Chinchilla Blend. I am thinking about slowly transitioning her to mazuri or oxbow pellets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, you want to change off that food.
There are a few different foods ppl use depending on there needs and means and there chinchillas needs and likes. Mazuri, oxbow, Manapros Select series Pro, Sho, or Gro, American Pet Diner.

Personaly;
I recently switched my boys to American Pet Diner Alffy Pellets because one of my boys was diagnosed with diabetes. Altho both boys seem to absolutely love this stuff.

My girls use Select Series Pro. (My boys did to until i switched to AMD.)
Note: The select series Pro is a rabbit food. A few are nutritional suited for chinchilla needs, but not all rabbit foods are. So select wisely.

You will have to research what is best for you, from nutrition to price to availability in your area.

If you are interested in this product and cant get it locally. Usually bought from tractor supply, but many ppl don't find themselves near one.

The best feeds don't have extras to be picked out. They're JUST pellets, but they're also good pellets. It doesn't look like as much fun but it's much better for them and ensures they get the nutrition they need.

Besides, why leave treats in the food when it's more fun to give them by hand?

I personally use Mazuri. Locally I only have Oxbow available and it is VERY expensive around here. I order Mazuri straight from their site, however, and it's very reasonably priced (no store middleman). I think it was something like $9 for 2.5 pounds and $20 for 25 pounds. Usually they have deals or coupons out where you can find free shipping for either. http://www.mazuri.com/chinchilla.aspx

I get the big bag, even though I only have one chin. He seems to eat 4-5 pound over 4 months, so it's just buying two bags a once in case he eats more than that. I use what he eats before the exp date and whatever seems like extra I end up giving to my sister (she has a ton of rats she meant to bred for snake food, but couldnt feed animals with such personality, that eat Mazuri rat feed, the chin stuff isn't bad as a treat for them)

Most chins are fine on Mazuri, although some have issues (I think all foods have exceptions). Tradition and Manna Pro (there are a few varients of this one like manna pro sho and manna pro gro- http://www.mannapro.com/products/rabbit/select-series-feed/
should have the details of differences) and oxbow are other commonly used pellets.

Happy hunting!

Info for your search- I use Mazuri, as do many others. Oxbow is my only local pellet available and is fairly overpriced here. I found that I could order directly from Mazuri and cut out the middleman of a store and have it delivered to me. It's about $9 for 2.5 pound and $20 for 25 pounds of pellet, and usually they have a sale or a coupon out for free shipping on both- whichever one isn't advertised on their site at the time may take a bit of digging through google to find though. My one chin typically seems to hit about 5 pounds of feed in four months, so i just get the big package (basically I get more feed free and he'll eat the same amount as two small shipments before it goes bad) The extra feed I give to my sister (she attempted to have a rat breeding colony for snakes and discovered her rat's personalities were too sweet so she now has a TON of pets) Her rats are on Mazuri rat feed, so the chin feed she gets from me is a nice treat for them.
Other common pellets I've heard of are Tradition, Oxbow and Manna Pro (which also has Sho and Gro feed types- I don't know much on the differences or which has the required amounts but not too much unnecessary stuff) I THINK sho is the common one but im not 100% sure. I highly recommend checking all local pet and feed stores (near me tractor supply is the best brick-and-mortar place to get stuff for chins, not petstores) as well as checking out online vendors (some on this forum) and make a spreadsheet or otherwise keep track of prices for different feeds/dust/hays and all that stuff. Be careful-your wallet will be in danger of emptying during the search, especially visiting our vendors. :) Also check if you can get the brand you want can be got directly from the company. The only thing with that is you need to be on the ball with ordering so it has time to ship (and maybe reship if there's an issue) before you run out.

Back