What mutation is this?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarinuto

chin smitten
I posted an ad for a chinnie, but I think I asked for the wrong thing. So I'm looking for help to find the write color name.

What I would like to find is a female chinchilla who has a white tail and white body with dark ears and dark eyes. I thought that this was considered a wilson white, but I think I am wrong. Is it fading white?

Somebody help a girl out since I'm clearly confused!

Mosaic is the base white type you're looking for. That color/eye combo can come in a regular mosaic, ebony white and Tov mosaic / Tov Ebony White.

All the dominant whites are Wilson whites, including mosaics and silvers. Somewhere along the way, that term got confused for predominantly white, which isn't entirely accurate but it keeps getting perpetuated so that that usage is common. You're looking for a Predominantly White, which is not a mutation (Wilson is the mutation) but a pattern that Wilsons come in.

Fading white is a separate mutation, which I think is recessive.

Last edited:
Ahhh... Okay, it's all starting to make sense. So, because I'm curious: does anyone have a picture of a Fading White? I want to see what that one looks like too!

Ah... I remember reading about and seeing pictures of Fading Whites before... but they were referred to as something else. However, I'm sure it was the same mutation as it's pretty unique markings to me

Just thought I'd add since you're looking for one... other than a few that want to produce "extreme mosaics," I don't know of any breeders that try to breed for specific patterns in their whites. Mosaic is by far the most common pattern whites come in, silvers and predominantly whites aren't all that common. It may not be easy finding one.

I tend to get a lot of white with dark guard hairs out of my std/mosaic pairings - these are not the same as silvers, correct? Bella is very pretty!

No, they're not the same as silvers. Silvers have light grey underfur, grey tips and a visible bar over their whole body, whites with dark guard hair have white underfur and no visible bar. I get a lot of whites with dark guard hair, too. Both look pretty close to a standard when they're born.

Last edited:
No, they're not the same as silvers. Silvers have light grey underfur, grey tips and a visible bar over their whole body, whites with dark guard hair have white underfur and no visible bar. I get a lot of whites with dark guard hair, too. Both look pretty close to a standard when they're born.

Thats what I thought.

What is guard hair, and what do you mean by bar?

As I understand it and am able to explain it. Each hair on a chinchilla has three distinct colors. On a standard chin, the fiber closest to the skin should be a deep gray extending about half the length of the fur (this is the underfur). Above that is a band of white 1/8” wide (this is the bar), then a darker outer tip which is called veiling. How shallow or deep the outer tip is determines how well the animal is veiled.

Sycamore (or anyone else) I thought the recessive whites (fading ones) were all but lost? Is anyone still actively working on them? I personally love whites and this particular mutation of white greatly appealed to me many years ago when I found out about them. Wanted to purchase some to work with them but the herd I DID know about was sold/disbanded and untraceable. Thoughts?

Silver or White???

Mish or anyone else who has seen them - is this a good example of a silver? She is out of a black/white cross dam and a dark standard sire. She appeared to be a standard at birth except for the tip of her tail. She now has dark guard hair and her underfur appears to be a light gray (definitely not white) and the white bar is present. She is still a very wiggly 4 month old baby so hard to get good pics.

Attachments

• DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 23
Brittany - A guard hair is slightly longer and structurally thicker than the undercoat/down hairs. On chinchilla, each follicle has one guard hair, and 40-100 down hairs.

If you blow into a chinchilla's fur (standard, preferably) so that the fur parts into a circle, you will see a white ring near the end of the part. That is the bar. If you see a second white ring near the center of the circle, your chinchilla is priming and that is the new fur coming in.

Juanita - The length of the tip determines how dark the animal appears, not necessarily how well veiled it is. Extension of the tip down the sides and through the neck has more to do with veiling. I have many sapphire carriers that have short tips and wide bars, but are well veiled. You're right on about the shaft, bar, and tip though.

Ange - I know of at least two breeders currently working with the Fading Whites.

It is interesting to see which club defines what, but when you get down to it they are all a mosaic. A standard x mosaic can and will produce any of the varieties of white listed so far except fading whites.

Wanted to purchase some to work with them but the herd I DID know about was sold/disbanded and untraceable. Thoughts?

It's traceable - Furball bought Trinity's herd, they wholesaled the whites and everything they didn't want to Ronda and Ronda sold them to Luke Faucett.

I know of a couple of people working with them, one is Luke if you can get ahold of him. The problem now is that they are taking 6-8 years to fade so you can't tell if you have one for a very long time.

Ronda has a line that is born standard and always turns pure white around a year old - but they don't look like the fading whites.

I assume the one's of Rondas are for sale? Which letter can I look under to find them if you recall?

Luke...Luke...is he even on the forum anymore? Can't remember seeing him here though I know he used to be (we used to butt heads a good deal)

I love whites, the "fading ones" that have that very uniform look to them like a "graying old dog" are the ones I really loved.

ETA- the herd I was discussing was Wanda McCall's herd (ChinNook)? CA I think. When she passed from cancer Bob said that they went to Furball then (apparently) to Ronda? So those ARE the one's I'm looking for after researching old old ancient emails

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back