What makes a bonded chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mircat

Hi guys :)
I've had my chinchilla for 7 months now and he's 2 years old. He came from a person's home, he was born there but the person is not a breeder.
What I want to know is how can you tell if a chinchilla is really bonded to you?
Of course, I know the bond will strengthen over time. I'd just like to know what normal behavior comes from chinchillas who have a loving and trusting relationship with their owner. Maybe a time comparison would help too, as I've only had him for 7 months.
Idk if my boy would be considered "cuddly". When he's in his cage all drowsy he'll let me pet him and give him scritches and love everywhere. However once he's out he gets all hyper and either wants to go back in his cage or wants to run around.
He does stay still in my arms, but its only ever for a few minutes. Its so sweet when he does though! When he's in his cage I can scoop him out no problem, he'll easily climb onto my arms and come outside to me as well. Outside of his cage when he's on play mode, he lets me catch him and pick him up with no fuss most of the time. He'll come sit on me for a bit to get cuddles in before running off again. He'll climb on me and use me as furniture and an elevator. We have this thing where if he cant climb somewhere he'll look at me because he knows I'll help him up.
Apparently he doesn't like others. He barks and tries to nip at my boyfriend sometimes, other times he's perfectly loving with him. Same thing with my mom, mostly he tries to get away when she tries to hold him and since he has one eye he turns his blind side to her lol.
Does this sound like he's bonded to me? If not, what can I do to make him feel closer to me?
Thanks guys, I'd really like to hear about how your chins act with you too!
:)

Attachments

• 100MEDIA$IMAG0445.jpg
    100MEDIA$IMAG0445.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 12
Sounds like he is pretty bonded to you. It really doesn't have a time schedule to follow for bonding, for some it takes hours for others years, it really depends on the chin. It depends on the chin's personality as to signs for that chin being bonded to you, but general signs include, being able to pick up, hold, and pet the chin, the chin greeting you when you come to the cage or into the room, trying to groom you (little soft nibbles not hard bites), stuff like that. Personalities also very wildly from chin to chin, some are cuddly others hate to be touched, though most don't like being held for any length of time, people give off a lot of heat. It's not uncommon for a chin to bond with one person more strongly or only with one person. My guess with the different reactions inside vs outside the cage is just mindset, inside the cage is for relaxing, outside is for play.

Latest posts

Back