What kind of cage do you have and why?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morbidmama

I want to buy my chinchilla a new home. Ive been looking around but cant really decide. The main things I want: big(may house both my chins), chew proof, an has a deep bottom for litter an to keep poop from bein thrown out.
So what kind of cage do you have and why do you like it?

Ferret Nation cage is best for me. They are very roomy, all metal, and you can order metal pans that have a lip around them. I dont think anything will keep "ALL" the chin poop inside a cage though!

I have a converted parrot cage. It's pretty great, 6 feet tall and and quite wide and long (Not sure on exact measurements off the top of my head). I built it with tons of shelves and hidey-places, Magyk has loved it. I got to cage from a friend of mine who just gave it to me.

I have a double critter nation. I wanted to get a bigger cage than what I had for Luna and I got the CN for a steal on craigslist. I love it and so does Luna!

I have a Marshall Folding Ferret Mansion; I got it because it was much cheaper then other cages I was looking at the time. I believe I got it for $150, but it's listed for almost $200 on Petco now. I also really like that you can take it apart and fold it if need be, so it can be useful if you don't have much storage room. One thing I do really like about it is that you use the middle space for a full sized shelf, since the doors don't open all the way.

It's a good sized cage (almost the same size as a Ferret Nation), but you don't have room under the cage to store things like you do with FN's and alike. The doors are small removable grids, which personally doesn't bother me much, but can be a slight pain to clean in the corners since you can't reach in fully without practically climbing in. The top fully flips open, but unless you want to stand on a chair or step ladder to reach in, it probably won't be used much for cleaning but can come in handy for hanging things.

The pan is extremely shallow, so almost everything flies out. You could put a (custom sized) pan in it to give it more depth, but you would need to take the top half off since it comes in two parts. It seems like everything you do can't keep the chinny poops fully inside the cage!

I really do like this cage and am happy with buying it, I've had it for three+ years with practically no wear or tear. I can easily see this cage lasting a very long time. However, if I had a second choice of cage, I would probably buy a Ferret Nation if I'm going to be honest.. espeically since they go on sale for cheap on Ferret.com. ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back