What is silent Giardia?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumby and Elmo

Hi,
Recently, I noticed Muffin losing weight, she was about 700g last year and a half, now she's down to 600g.
Took her to the vet and they did blood work and full body and skull X-rays, all came back normal. Shes also very very active, eats a lot and poops and pee are normal too. The vet just suggested to put a couple more bowls of pellets and bottles in case her cage mate is bullying her for food. Otherwise just keep an eye on the weight.

Now 2 weeks later, I weighed her again today, she's lost 7 more grams, I know that's not a lot but I'm still worried. The thing I didn't do at the vets was a fecal sample and urine testing, Wasnt able to get a good sample of her poop in the morning.

After researching here, I read that silent Giardia could cause weight loss, But her poops are nice and firm, not slimy nor smelly.
So may I ask what silent Giardia is as opposed to giardia? Any other symptoms associated with it?
Thanks

Silent giardia means it produces no symptoms other than weight loss. I had one with it, everything was normal except she lost over 100 gms in two months.

Latest posts

Back