what is critical care apple and banana?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuddskers

I have been reading as much as I can on feeding a chinchilla that is not eating and I keep seeing this critical care. What exactly is it and where do you get it? also I see something about pumpkin balls. How do you make them? My chin was on baytril and has not been eating since. She has lost a ton of weight and i need to get her eating again.

Critical Care is a food replacement for animals that aren't eating on their own that you syringe feed or some chins will eat it off of a spoon. You should be able to get it at a vets office, you might have to call around. Baytril is known to make chinchillas loose their appetite.

Critical care is made by Oxbow. http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/products/type/detail?object=1608

See if your vet carries it, or other vets in your area if they don't. Your chinchilla really needs to be eating! Until you get ahold of some critical care, grind up some pellets really fine, mix with some water, and syringe feed that to her. She absolutely needs food in her gut. Is she still on the baytril? How long has it been since she's eaten? Chinchillas that haven't eaten in over 24hrs can go into gut stasis. If it's been so long that she's lost a ton of weight, I would definitely get her back to the vet!

I've been handfeeding one of my girls for the past three weeks. I use Critical Care Apple/Banana when I had to burrito (wrap) her and force feed her with a syringe. Since then she's become less stubborn and has been willing to eat Intensive Care (from Alderbrook Chinchillas) off a spoon...which has made life a lot easier!

Good luck with your fuzzy!

Not eating

Critical care is made by Oxbow. http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/products/type/detail?object=1608

See if your vet carries it, or other vets in your area if they don't. Your chinchilla really needs to be eating! Until you get ahold of some critical care, grind up some pellets really fine, mix with some water, and syringe feed that to her. She absolutely needs food in her gut. Is she still on the baytril? How long has it been since she's eaten? Chinchillas that haven't eaten in over 24hrs can go into gut stasis. If it's been so long that she's lost a ton of weight, I would definitely get her back to the vet!

She has only been eating a little bit of hay. She has lost a ton of weight! Its been a couple weeks.

Critical Care is the route to take, it ensures that your chinchillas receives their daily source of nutrients when they are not eating. You can find it with your local vet or even online through different sources. I know that I carry it on my site as well if you need any.

You need to get food in her ASAP! She may already be in stasis. Is she still pooping and if so what does the poop look like?

Latest posts

Back