what is a white ebony?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacd061506

I know that by breeding a white to an ebony will get a white ebony but if you don't know the background of the chin how can you tell since they can't be bred?

I have a male that was recently just dropped off here and he is all white with a few dark hairs on his face, his tail seems almost black except the tip which is white and the only other marking he has is a very dark spot on his leg that wraps around from the front to the back and slightly on his belly.

Just wondering if he would be considered a white ebony or if I should just stick with calling him a mosaic for lack of background knowledge. It's not really that important to know as he is just one of my rescues but I was curious to know.
thanks

Without a pedigree the only way to tell would be black/grey markings on the belly- past the point where the belly would be white on a differently colored chin. However, not all white ebonies will have markings on their stomach.

The term white ebony is more of a breeding term- it lets a breeder know that the chin carries the ebony gene, so it can potentially throw ebonies with another ebony or ebony carrier.

A white ebony, mosaic, etc. is technically just a white in show terms. You can just call him a white and still be correct in his coloring.

White ebony is just a descriptive name. Like you mention, a mosaic where one parent was an ebony and the other a mosaic.

Even if you don't know the background, if the dark hair wraps onto the belly or under the chin like traditional ebony does it would be considered a white ebony.

thank you, that's what I wanted to know. So either way he would still be a white. :thumbsup:

Back