What Happened to my hedgehog?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

letsdothehedgie

Last friday night my hedgie Quinius was very lethargic and wobbly. The temperature in his room was 74 so I turned the heat up to about 78. Saturday night he was still wobbly but he was warm and didn't seem as lethargic. Sunday night he was a little wobbly but he was using his wheel and had normal poop. Last night he was really lethargic and would move around and then just lay down. His breathing was pretty rapid and he wasn't interested in eating. I've been really busy with school and have finals this week and I couldn't get him in the vet until this upcoming Thursday. He didn't make it that long though... I feel like I failed. I failed Quinn and I failed the hedgehog community. I thought I was doing everything right for him and then this happened. I'm hurt and confused. Why did this happen and what should I do? I contacted his breeder this morning and left her a message. I feel like a terrible person and that this is all my fault...

Im sorry to hear about Quinius. It sounds like he was sick not cold. If you still have his body and are wondering what happened I would suggest a necropsy.

I am so sorry to hear about Quinius.

His little sister Ebba and I send our thoughts. We will celebrate his short life.
Too painful to remember
Too precious to forget

:(

Gabi - I am so sorry about Quinius's passing. It is hard to loose a pet so young. I know we talked on the phone already, but if you think of anymore symptoms Quin was having please let me know. At this point I am thinking that it was a respiratory infection since you mentioned the discharge. Respiratory infections can progress quickly and are deadly.
When you are ready for another hedgie, let me know. You are a great hedgie mom and I know you took great care of Quin. Sometimes tragic flukes just happen.
I hope you find peace. Quin is playing at the rainbow bridge now.

Thank you all for the kind words. It's comforting to know there are others who will keep him in their thoughts. Time heal's all wounds and hopefully someday I'll be ready for another hedgie. At the moment though I'm not too sure. I still feel at fault and I don't want to hurt another hedgehog. I miss Quinn so much. I keep thinking if I go upstairs maybe he'll be there. That maybe this was all a bad dream but I know in the back of my mind it's not.

As for other symptoms Friday night he has green sticky poop but after that it was normal. I didn't really notice discharge until Monday night. He blew a snot bubble but I thought maybe it was because he got water in his nose (he blew it right after he drank some water). I feel naive for thinking he was just cold and that it could have waited till Thursday to have him checked out. If I would have just skipped class and took him to the vet Monday he'd may still be here today.

If this was pneumonia, getting him to the vet on Monday would not have made any difference. Treating pneumonia takes time and for him to pass away that quickly, a few days would most likely not have helped.

Did he sneeze? Usually with a URI they sneeze that increases in frequency and the URI turns to pneumonia. Green sticky poop is also a symptom that a URI has turned to pneumonia.

It may not even have been pneumonia but something else.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Latest posts

Back