what do youuuu think

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sugarised

its been a while since i've been on here, but i always like to get a second opinion from here when it concerns my chins.

My poor little girl, Dita, sadly passed away a few days ago. She had got some kind of bacterial pneumonia, and after over a week and a half of drugs her lungs were damanged and weak, and she passed away in her sleep.

Unfortunately i guess at this as the last i saw of her was me givign her her meds then going to give her her morning dose to find her. Horrid.

My fears have since moved to her cagemate, starrkey. She was bought for him as he was lonely and used to get a bit amourous with my arm, but now he's lost her, and the poor thing was probably with her for a few hours before i found her!

Now he's depressed. I think its starting to sink in to him that she's not coming back. His ears are flat a lot and hes a bit sulky.

I'm giving him loads of attention, and we have a plan to move him to my boyfriends house where there are 2 other chinnies (yup he's in quarantine for now just in case he has anything dita had- so he has a while to wait to play with them)

Do you think this will be enough for him? He'll be living alone in a cage, but having play time with these 2 other chinnies (he's met and played with them before)

or would you recommend another 'mate' for him??

any opinion is appreciated

I'm so sorry about Dita. I've been nursing a sick chin for a month now and it's heartbreaking to watch them suffer.
As for Starrkey, there are lots of things to consider:
If he's sad about Dita, is this the best time to move him?
Are you moving him because you think he'll be happier at your boyfriend's place? If you get him a buddy, do you still need/want to move him?
If he doesn't get along with a new buddy,can you manage another cage and another chin?
My single girl has playtime with a guinea pig (I know there are lots of chin owners who don't recommend this) and she seems perfectly happy having her own cage and a buddy to play with. If you move Starrkey be'd have the other two chins to play with and that might be enough for him.
Seems you have lots of options and some time to think, since he's quarantined for a bit.
Good luck with your decision!

fortunately it wasn't for long, she had a horrible cough and rattle, but it didn't get her down til the end.

The move is always a plan, i think we're just going to process it now that he's going to be lonely. It won't be for a month or so though with quarantine processes. As i want him away from the others at my house for a month before i take him to the other half's to accostomsie just in case the bugs are in him but not working.

i can manage another cage with another chin, ish, depends which house theyre at, but its all the plan to move in with the boyfriend within the year. I immediately said no to a new partner through not being able to replace dita, but it all depends on how lonely he could get. He doesn't have anyone to cuddle when he sleeps now. :(

hmmmm all depends on his grieving for a bit isuppose

Latest posts

Back