What do you use?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

eventgirl

Hey, me again with all the questions lol

I am going to be making some houses and shelves for the boys tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what to use to hold the houses together.

What is safe for them to chew on? I dont want to use any hardware (other than the attachment hardware) but I dont know whats safe.

Thanks guys!

Elmer's Wood Glue is Safe I believe.

So is using screws. That's What I used because I don't own a vice for gluing.....

If you have time and patience, you can construct chin houses with notch joints, requiring no glue or hardware.

I just use Elmer's Wood glue. You don't need a vice Sarah. I just put the house together and then put some weight on it while it dries. It only takes 10 minutes or so to get a good hold. My kids stood on them to test them for me, and they hold up really well. I don't have the time or the skill to do the drill and dowell bit, and I worry about screws/nails because my chins demolish their houses, so the wood glue is what works best here.

I've also used pre-drilled drywall screws - the house is usually falling apart from chewing before the sharp points are exposed!
I try to pick KDP with knots, as mine seem to go around them, but others have said that's the 'favorite part' for their chins.

Where do you buy the wood to make stuff like that? Is there anywhere other than online?

I use screws because they're reusable and faster than waiting for glue. Mine demolish right down to the screws, when they get that far I pull the house out and reuse the screws. I recycle the chewed house panels for shelving.

Granted, I only have 25 or so chins here, vs. Peg's 250. :p

Where do you buy the wood to make stuff like that? Is there anywhere other than online?
Your nearest lumber or home store (Lowe's/Home Depot)

Oh thanks guys!

**is making fun stuff for the boys as we speak!**

Back