What do you tell them about chinchilla feed?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diamond Dreams

Erudite Chinchillas
Today I was at the feed store today buying PANR. I was chatting with the guy in the warehouse who mentioned that a woman was in there the day before buying food for her chins who she supposidly breeds and shows. She bought Equine Senior and Charlie Chinchilla feed for them. Apparently she called the Charlie Chinchilla feed "chinchilla gold", meaning that it was the best stuff money could buy for chins.

I then talked to a woman that worked there who said she feeds her chinchillas Sunseed (something like that) and went on to say that she feeds them peanuts for treats because her vet said it was a good occasional treat. She feeds them each one a day. She said she tried the "bulk" feed Mazuri but didn't like it for some reason so she went back.

I told her that she shouldn't feed peanuts and better treats would be rosehips, goji berries and shredded wheat to which she responded that she "didn't have good results with rosehips." I also suggested that she needed a new vet. I was so flustered at that point that I left. :banghead:

So my question is, what is the best way to tell people that they (and their vet) are wrong and that they would be better served to change their ways for their pets health, or is it a totally mute point like telling people to eat healthier? Anyone have any luck?

My only suggestion about the vet is to ask if they are an exotic vet and then subtly explain that he's an idiot and that he was not trained in chins.

Unfortunatly its so hard to explain that they may be wrong. I get sooo frustrated. I like to just get them here and then the masses can beat them with good info (I mean that in the most loving of ways). I usually start with "Oh you have chins too? I just love them. I'm part of this site.. " Get them interested in showing off their chins and making friends and contacts and then hope they check it out and get enlightened and inspired. I know I did. I always too good care of Petra but since coming to this site I take much better care and spoil them in much better ways.... They seem to take it better because then its them learning by themselves and not some one telling them they are wrong.

When I try to help someone out I always start off with something like, I don't mean to sound like a jerk or rude..etc... Then i proceed to tell them what they are doing wrong. Sometimes it works and sometimes, people just don't want to hear it. But mentioning the forum is a great idea too.

Tell them to come here. I always tell people "Please, don't take my word for it. Come to CnH and see the 1000+ members who will agree that what you are feeding and doing is going to hurt your chinchilla in the end." I try to never make it like "I" am attacking them and am an expert. I try and get them to rely on the forum body as a whole.

Barring that, print up some information from here on chinchillas and take it in to them. There are lots of threads about nutrition, treats, etc. Even if you have to do some cutting and pasting to make a compilation. Take in a handful of pellets, a handful of dust, some good wood and SHOW her what's what. Then when the idiot "breader" feeding Charlie Chinchilla comes in, she can try and pass on the knowledge.

After that, it's in their hands.

I was thinking of printing chinchilla business cards with my website on it which would have a link to here. Most people don't have a pen and paper handy or the patience to wait for info they weren't asking for.

Trying to change someones mind when they are happy with their chin food is like trying to get some one to change their religion that they are happy with.
Telling them they are wrong is only going o anger them. All you can do is present your point of view and hope they take a objective look at it.
Their are many points of view on this forum, about the basics that many disagree with, such as proper diet ,health, the genetics of mal. ect.
Just look at the debate thread about feed.
And shear numbers don't mean something is correct either. How many fad diets have came and went just on this forum alone?
A few centuries ago most thought the world was flat but just because that is what 99% of the people thought doesn't make it the truth.

Many pet owners (I'm talking for every species) feed their pets some of the worst foods out there and its usually for three reasons: 1) It's cheap, 2)The animals seem to be doing ok on it, 3)They don't know any better. They still care about the animals, just don't see a reason to switch foods. So when telling someone they're wrong, I usually try to play towards those three reason.

With chinchilla food, the good foods are often cheaper than the junk or at least pretty close in price so that ones easy. Tell them in specifics why the bad food is bad (you may have to do some research to brush up). Then end with telling them that while the animal may appear to be doing well, they may be amazed at the changes they see in activity level and physical appearance after they change to a better diet. This one is an easier sell with dogs who can smell awful, shed like crazy, and poop a lot when on a poor diet, but it applies to chins too. If you've seen chinchillas on poor diets, many are underweight or severely overweight and just look scraggly, even if they've had regular dust baths.

I don't know how many chins your feed store gal has, but I'd offer to split a bag of PANR with her. Many chins don't like Mazuri so I can see how she may have been turned off of it. But she did give it a try, which shows she knows there are better options out there. Try and talk her into giving PANR a chance. Remind her that if it doesn't work out she can always switch back (hopefully she won't), but she needs to give it a few months at least. Junk food chins may not like the switch initially, but they'll come around.

Most of mine here don't care for rose hips. Suggest oats for a treat. They love them and they're cheap.

Also mention some other benefits; weight gain, consistant poos, shinier coats, more energy - kind of pour it on, as something might "trip her trigger", so to speak!
Or, bet her a bag - if she sees no improvement, you'll pay for it! If she does - she buys you one!
Who's gonna win??

Back