What do you suggest?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lovette's Kara

I am not really a new chinchilla owner. I have had chinchillas in the past, but it has been a while since I had a chinchilla before Tobi... about 5+ years and it feels all new to me again. I was given Tobi, a 3 month old male (at the time, which was in October) ebony for an early Christmas Present. I wasn't too sure if I was ready after my last chinchilla passed away from seizures and I never found out why. I am also a nursing student and it can be very time consuming, plus I work part time as well. And unlike my cats who can force me to stop and give them attention (sitting on the textbook I am reading always works), I felt that a chinchilla may not be as forceful. But I feel Tobi is doing well, I give him attention and he is spoiled rotten according to my mother. He has more treats and toys than even my cats do. Currently he's on Oxbow pellets and hay as well. Though, I just moved and I haven't been able to chin proof my apartment for him to come out and play. Tobi is about 10 months old now and doing well, but I feel really guilty because I don't feel I give him enough attention and that he may be lonely. I was playing some communication recordings of chinchillas because he started barking in his sleep the other day and I was asking my mother if it was normal, and he started making communication noises at the noises on the communication recording. I kinda feel that he might be lonely for companionship of other chinchillas most of all.

So, what I need help with is should I get another Chinchilla? And if so, should I try and get a baby or should I get a rescue? (I don't do buying pet stores...) My other chinchillas from the past were always rescues. Tobi is the first one that came from a breeder... I like the idea of saving an animal, but younger ones get along better, and I will know where it came from. Some of the rescues were really aggressive too...

I think maybe for your second one, if you can't find a rescue with a youngster, you might consider going to a breeder. It can be hard introducing a new cagemate after being alone for a while, and an aggressive chin with behavioral issues isn't going to be a great choice.

I like to see all my animals have a cagemate if possible. But, you must realize that even though they get along at first, that could change down the road, so you should always have a second cage ready, just in case things should turn bad later on. You may never have a problem with two living together, but if you're prepared, and something does happen, it could save a life.

Also, you will want to observe a 30 day quarantine when bringing in a new chin, especially if it is coming from a source you are not familiar with.

I think that a buddy would be a good idea. Tin es has some very good advice. One thing I would like to add is to make sure that they are the same sex (unless, of course, you plan on getting into breeding - oh! but there is the time issue again, so I guess that you po=robably don't want to do that.)

I think that a buddy would be a good idea. Tin es has some very good advice. One thing I would like to add is to make sure that they are the same sex (unless, of course, you plan on getting into breeding - oh! but there is the time issue again, so I guess that you po=robably don't want to do that.)

Some day, I would like to breed Tobi, but today is not that day, nor anytime in the future. But yes, I think another male would be best.

I think Peggy gave great advice especially the extra cage incase and the quarentine..

If you plan to breed tobi, you MUST make sure he's from a very good breeder who takes a close eye on genetic issues. That breeder must work with good chins from good breeders himself. Having his pedigree would be great, so you can know where his lineage is from and the mutations involved. I'm saying this cause some breeders have no clue what they're doing....

Good luck with that little one!

Back