What do you guys put under your fleece liners to absorb urine?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NavyWife

I just made some fleece liners and right now I only have the one layer because it's definitely better than before but I know I need to put something underneath the fleece to absorb the urine and I can't decide what would be best. I've seen people mention terry cloth, furniture liner and quilting fabrics I even considers just putting puppy pads but I realized unless I could find puppy pads that don't include the pheromones that attract dogs that probably wasn't the best idea.
Any suggestions? preferably affordable options

yikes! whatever you use, MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE the chins canNOT get to it! my chins pull up the fleece liners ALL the time, so something underneath would get eaten for sure!

maybe a better option is putting another layer of fleece... or terry cloth sewn in between the fleece layers?

The first couple of fleece liners I made I sandwiched old bath towels in between so it was 3 layers thick like this:
FLEECE
TOWEL
FLEECE

Then my little guy started ripping the fleece apart, so I took it out as I didn't want him ingesting the cotton towel. All the ones I make now are 2 layers of fleece and if you change them about every 3 days, there's no problem with pee smell but that's with 1 chin per cage.

I make my liners with 3 layers of fleece. Nothing as ever soaked through that. I've had liners with old towels inside them but they took forever to dry when washed and seemed to shrink a lot more.

I don't use anything under my fleece, I just spray the plastic pans with some organic cleaner and wipe them down when I change the fleece liners.

I have fleece then a towel between that with flecee on the bottom. Also you can put old newspaper on the bottom if you prefer! Mine love em!

I was using cage liners, but I switched to a couple of hand towels. That way I don't have to keep rebuying liners. The way the fleece is stitched around the pans, there is no way he could be able to chew what is underneath the fleece.

A lot of people use puppy training pads.. I thought of trying those because they are buy one get one half price at petsmart right now.

You don't have to have anything under the fleece, but I enjoy not having to put much effort into rubbing pee off the pans, thanks to having some type of liner there. :)

I did kinda the opposite. I switched from aspen wood bedding to fleece liners. Hand towels? Maybe. I guess just a preference on what you'd prefer.

Latest posts

Back