What do you all think

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Ande

about introducing a chin to a cat? Ive seen youtube videos of a chin running around a dog...

I don't think it's a good idea. Chins should only be introduced to other chins. Your cat could quickly kill your chinchilla or vice versa!! Not only physically kill him, but think of the stress the poor little thing would go through :( When I intro'd one of my chins to another chin he was so stressed from the experience that he was sick for almost 2 weeks...so personally, I'd never expose my chins to any other animal!

Ummm, yea I'd vote no!!!!

Even if the cat is very calm, nice etc. I just think it would be a bad idea for both parties. A cat is a "natural preditor" to the chins and the chin is "natural prey" (not as in nature but by natures genetics)

So no...sorry-don't think it's a good idea

to be on the safe side...i would say no...at the end of the day they are both animals...you can never predict what will happen...i think it's better to be safe than sorry

Cats can also carry bordetella, pasteurella, and a host of other bacteria which can cause pneumonia in chins. Chins should never be near cats.

I agree with the above. Cats and chins do not and should not mix.

Better to be safe than sorry and keep your chins away from dogs and cats. Too many things can go wrong, and you don't want a sick or dying chinnie on your hands.

Yes , totally what mishalaa said. At first I didn't know this either and let my first chin go near my cat. Thankfully, my chin never caught anything from her. But they can. I don't personally know how (my cat is an indoor cat so she can't bring anything in with her), but I have heard more than once, do not let a cat near a chin.

Jean

Not a wise idea. I think all the reasons have already been mentioned. I have cats and even though they really show no interest in the chins while they are safe in their cages, I would never let them loose around the cats.

We have four cats and none of them show any interest in the chinchillas. But.. I still would not let them play together for any reason. All it would take is one time for something to go wrong.. better safe than sorry.

I also personally know of chin owner who's cats killed her chin when he had accidently gotten loose.

I have two cats, a male and a female. The male shows absolutely no interest in the chins when in their cages, however, if I'm sitting in the office holding one, he'll sit and stare with his tail twitching (a hunting signal). Even if your cat(s) seem to be indifferent, the minute your chin starts running, they WILL go into predator mode and your chin WILL be injured or hurt. It's just nature. Overall, cats + chinchillas = DISASTER!

I already know. :) Just wanted others opinions on it since I see videos of Chins being mixed with other animals.

I have 3 cats who show interest in my chin, but give her a respectful distance. I had a cat get in my chin's pen and the chin charged at the cat and scared her out. Since then the cats will watch from a distance. I would never trust my cats completely, for the obvious reasons, but I know they are not a huge threat either. I have a hamster who has escaped a few times over the last two years and I have always feared the worst. I looked for the cats (I figured they would be wherever the hamster was) and they would be sitting there watching him roam around. Like I said, this has happened more than once ( :( ) but each time the hamster was recovered safely. ( I am happy to say he hasn't escaped in a long time - I have finally outwitted him). Would I trust my cats after this, still no, but I think some animals can coexist, depending on the nature of the animal.

I wouldn't, I mean there are those stories. There is even one about a elephant and a dog. I think on those things you kind of need to understand that it is rare. I would say no but if you want to and you know nothing will happen then you could try it. I wouldn't for reasons of fighting and in the end killing your chinchilla just a bad idea in general. Also, even if it does work it may not work forever. The cat may be in a bad mood and may bite. I vote no. I actually think that those things could be by accident too. Chinchillas are fragile and a bite could seriously hurt them. I think the prey and predator thing keeps come on out on each of these posts. Dogs and cats are predators and will hurt a smaller animal.

Last edited:
The chinchilla doesn't want a cat with him either. When they are out for playtime they just want a fun time, not having to watch out and be careful. They are not thinking Yay! I get to play with the cat/dog/whatever.

I have both cats and a chinchilla. and they will never be out together...
I had my chin in a room alone, and he got scratched by a cat underneath the door.
he is fine it seems. but I would not trust them out together...

but it could depend on the cat as well..

I have four cats in the house. They abide by my very strict rules going into the chin area. I do NOT trust any of them with my chins. Chins would be natural prey and you should witness how a few of mine will stalk as soon as one is out by accident. I have to run and put the cats away as soon as possible before a chin round up. Now I do have one very senior cat that likes one of my chins and will allow them to have playtime. I put up the gate, place the chin in the kitchen and of course the cat is there. The cat is old and likes to lay on the floor. My chin Little Dude makes hits and runs and sometimes runs into him. But my eye is always watchful!!!!!! The cat will reach for him once in a while with no great intention of a chase.

Back