What do I do?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aprinceton

Hey all,
I have a chin suffering from malocclusion, or something similar. Apparently her incisors are not the problem, which are easy to trim. She's chewing funny; her molars may be overgrown, or there's another problem. I need some advice. I have taken her to 3 different vets and every vet tells me something different, usually manages to sneak in a charge to charge me twice as much as what I excepted (like an examination fee on top of the tooth filing when all I scheduled was a tooth filing).
The only vet so far that has managed to stop Belle's drooling for a good couple months and made her look better is one that charges me $300 each visit and has me come back every 3-4 months. I can't afford to do that. I tried somewhere that charges $50 each time, but that was the one who was just expecting to file her incisors.
I don't know what to do. This latest vet wants MORE x-rays and visits to figure this problem out, but I've already spent so much money on this one problem for nobody to fix. I'm worried it's only fixable at a cost higher than I can afford.
I love Belle. But I don't know at what point I need to stop spending on her. I only have one job with not many hours. Is this problem even fixable at all?

No, it is not. Malocclusion can only be prolonged, not ever, ever fixed. Have you had x-rays done? It may be that you have an issue with the roots as well as surface issues.

No, it is not. Malocclusion can only be prolonged, not ever, ever fixed. Have you had x-rays done? It may be that you have an issue with the roots as well as surface issues.

She's had x-rays, but none of the vets have showed me or said how bad it was. The newest vet wanted $200 to take X-rays so I decided to have her records transferred from the old vet so they can look at the X-rays already taken, so I'm waiting for that.

Post your x-rays here. We've got someone whose pretty much an expert on this. She'll read them.

Post your x-rays here. We've got someone whose pretty much an expert on this. She'll read them.

I've requested the X-rays be sent to me, but I have to wait on the vet. My last visit to the newest vet didn't solve much, they filed her incisors but realized it's her molars that are the problem. They're going to look at the X-rays maybe take more, and probably refer me to a vet who deals with chinchillas more regularly. Problem is, since her molars are the problem and the vet didn't help this last time, Belle is still drooling and pawing at her mouth. I don't know what to do, she looks uncomfortable 😞 I don't want to just wait on the vet and keep her in misery.
She's still eating and coming out to play (she'll mostly just sit on me during playtime though) but I feel bad. She's drooling a lot.

I've been having serious trouble attaching the x-rays. It says I already have them attached in the thread, but I can't find them or re-attach.
I went to a more experienced vet today and she said Belle has problems with her jaw and molars. It's (hopefully) fixable to a point; we can get her back to regular visits to file her teeth every 3-4 months. At this point it's a question of money. It's $700-$800 to fix these big problems then will be $300-$400 each visit in the future. I keep going back and forth-- it's a lot of money to spend, but it's really hard for me to decide to put her down (she's in discomfort, so I have to decide soon).
I actually started a gofundme for this initial expensive procedure. Is that something I'd be allowed to post on the forum somewhere? Not sure if I'm allowed to ask for money...

PM ticklechin. She can help you out. She may give you her persona email and you can send them to her that way.

I know it's been a while, but basically since I posted I had raised enough money to go through with a $700 procedure to file Belle's teeth down and hopefully help correct her jaw problems. She has been fine for weeks and much more energetic, and the vet said she was healing beautifully. Now she is scheduled to go back in 2 months just to see how much her teeth have grown. Tonight I noticed she is starting to drool again!!! She is not supposed to have any problems for months following the procedure. Why does every vet say something different and why is the problem never solved (or even managed)? 😞

If the problem is malo, unfortunately there is no solving it. Malo can be managed some, with regular filing but never cured, unless you remove all the chin's teeth. The teeth grow above and below to gums, and only the top of the tooth can be filed, so you still have the roots causing a problem. Chins teeth grow at different rates too (I think I read something like 3-5+mm per month), it depends on genetic and diet, so what would take one chin months to grow another can grow in weeks. It also depends on if the chin is actually chewing on things enough or not (wood for the front teeth, hay for the molars). I think it depends on how many chins the vet has seen with the issue, if they have only seen a few maybe all those had teeth that grew slower or got back to chewing things quicker. If they haven't seen any then it's possible they are just getting their info from reading about it or similar issues with other animals.

Another possibility is the current drooling is not the tooth issue it's simply just a piece of hay or something caught in her teeth. Having something stuck in her teeth can cause drooling too.

Thanks for getting back to me. She is chewing on some sticks and wooden blocks, and eating her pellets and small amounts of hay, though not as much as I wish she'd eat.
If there is something stuck in her teeth, is there any way I can tell or help get it out? Or do I just have to wait and see if the drooling stops after a day or two?

I would take her back to the vet and get it checked out, you probably wont be able to see into the mouth good enough at home to check for something stuck in the teeth or if there is a sore in her mouth. I just mentioned that to offer a more positive/fixable possibility and to mention to the vet if they don't think to check for that.

Pellets don't do anything really to wear down teeth, they are too soft. Have you tried offering different types of hay or hay mixes to increase interest?

I would take her back to the vet and get it checked out, you probably wont be able to see into the mouth good enough at home to check for something stuck in the teeth or if there is a sore in her mouth. I just mentioned that to offer a more positive/fixable possibility and to mention to the vet if they don't think to check for that.

Pellets don't do anything really to wear down teeth, they are too soft. Have you tried offering different types of hay or hay mixes to increase interest?

I just tried a different brand, but she isn't thrilled with that either. I'm going to try mixing some oat or orchard hay in. I tried alfalfa a while ago, but she started having diarrhea so I don't give her that anymore!

Hi Aprinceton,

I'm not sure how long ago your question was uploaded as I am using an app and can't see the time of this feed.
I'm really sorry to hear about Bella and I do hope you have found a solution and that she is okay? How old is Bella?
I can relate to your story as my chinchilla, Neela - she is 3 years and 7 months, also has malo. The roots of her molars are growing through her jaw bone with the assumption that the crowns of her molars where growing faster than what she could grind them down.
Ive been told that if malo starts before the chin is 2, it is genetic and after 2, it's poor diet. I'm not sure if that is entirely correct.
I have done so much research of my own to understand and come to terms with her disease. It's really hard to accept that it is incurable and that at some point she will be suffering without my knowledge.
I know what you are feeling about the cost factor, it's like you feel at some point you need to draw a line but it is so incredibly hard and emotional, and the thoughts alone can tear you up horribly.

Where I live, no vet in my town has any experience in chinchillas and has never treated such situations in chinchillas. The receptionist at the veterinary practice didn't even know what a chinchilla was.
My chin has just returned from the vet yesterday after having been anesthetized and had all of her teeth filed. She also lost quite a bit of weight from not eating.
So I wanted to ask you some advice please? How long after your chin had her teeth filed did she actually eat in her own?
I am still syringe feeding my chin and was wondering if it is still normal. However her tongue and inside her lip looks like it is healing from some kind of laceration caused - my assumption is that it happened during the procedure, so I can understand if she isn't eating or willing to eat on her own for that reason.

Hang in there chin mom - you may not get a solution to your problems but the users on this forum are really so kind, loving and supportive ❤️

I hope to hear from you soon x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back