What Color Mutation is my Chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tessachu20

Luna is now 3 and I've always wondered what she would be considered.

Attachments

• luna 3.jpg
    luna 3.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 66
  • luna 2.jpg
    luna 2.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 66
  • luna.jpg
    luna.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 66
She is just like my Samantha. Oh, and hetero ebony is not an accurate term for her color. She is a medium ebony.

Actually, she IS a hetero ebony, meaning that she carries one ebony gene and one standard gene. Her color could also be described as medium ebony.

That's not a correct description of the genetics of the chinchilla. Unless she has been bred and thrown a standard kit, it's not possible to determine her genotype by a picture. Also, because ebony is not as fully understood as the other genes of chinchillas, it's not accurate to say that she carries ONE ebony gene. She could have multiple genes contributing to the "ebony" phenotype instead of the single genes we see in other coat color mutations.

As far as this owner is concerned, an accurate description of Luna's color is a light to medium phased ebony.

Tab, my description was kept simple to make it less confusing for newbies. I don't disagree with you, but what I said also stands.

In my opinion its an eb plain and simple. As to color phase if you can tell that from a pic your better than me as different cameras and flash will give you many variations. ECBC classifies ebs as hetro and homo in the shows, MCBA uses the different color phases from light to X dark.

Back