What color is this baby?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bchins

I haven't had much experience with tans in the 7yrs+ that I have been breeding, and haven't actually ever gotten to see a chocolate/extra dark tan in person. I have a couple of lines for tans/ebs, striving to get a show quality chocolate in the future. This kit was born on 9.2.11, litter of 1. Mom is a medium ebony, and I believe dad is a dark tan (was listed as a chocolate on pedigree, but I do not think he is). If anyone can help me out here on determining this cute little guys coloring, that would be awesome! :) Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• chinchilla pics 9.3.11 013.jpg
    chinchilla pics 9.3.11 013.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 56
  • chinchilla pics 9.3.11 014.jpg
    chinchilla pics 9.3.11 014.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 42
  • chinchilla pics 9.3.11 015.jpg
    chinchilla pics 9.3.11 015.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 39
  • chinchilla pics 9.3.11 016.jpg
    chinchilla pics 9.3.11 016.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 38
  • chinchilla pics 9.3.11 017.jpg
    chinchilla pics 9.3.11 017.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 32
more pics of the baby tan

Attachments

• chinchilla pics 9.3.11 018.jpg
    chinchilla pics 9.3.11 018.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 24
  • chinchilla pics 9.3.11 019.jpg
    chinchilla pics 9.3.11 019.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 20
  • chinchilla pics 9.3.11 020.jpg
    chinchilla pics 9.3.11 020.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 42
  • chinchilla pics 9.3.11 021.jpg
    chinchilla pics 9.3.11 021.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 26
  • chinchilla pics 9.3.11 022.jpg
    chinchilla pics 9.3.11 022.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 21
Dad is a dark tan and the baby is medium to dark tan, but he could get darked or lighter with age.

Thanks :) He could not get dark enough to be a chocolate (extra dark tan), right? I haven't actually seen a chocolate so I don't think I will know when I get one...Like a dark ebony vs extra dark ebony, the dark ebony still has grey hairs on his body, and a extra dark is supposed to have all black hairs. Any pointers like that for tans? Thanks for the help!

http://www.sunsetchinchillas.com/Choc.shtml

Some photos for reference. The kit is not a "chocolate" and as far as I know that term is actually not generally used by breeders anymore. I think extra dark tan is the correct term? They seem to be VERY rare. To me he appears to be a medium tan...as Tabitha said he could lighten or darken with age.

He's a cutie! :)

Yes, sorry it is technically not "chocolate", but it is "extra dark tan". Thanks for all your guys' help! This will definitely be a big project, working on getting good quality tans (extra dark tans in particular). Many generations, unless I find some nice ebonies at show. Thanks again! :)

The end color will depend on how the line throws and once you see how he colors in you'll be better able to judge future babies. That particular coloration with the reddish light body and dark tail tend to darken to their tail color then lighten a few shades, he'll probably be close to dad's color. Unfortunately he'll likely also oxidize fast, probably not the best line for show.

If you really want a show tan line you'll need to get ahold of a beige line that is slower to oxidize and cross it with a blue ebony or breed it into your existing line if you think he has qualities worth keeping. Don't consider his color a quality - it is easier to get that dark color than to get rid of the other problems like early oxidization, strength of fur and blueness. :))

Thanks for all that info! I am aware of his reddish coloring, and do realize that isn't great- his dad shows more of that. I was planning on working on that in the next generations, but may change and work on the color (tone) first, then work on shade of color. I was doing more research on extra dark tans and just tans, and came across this comment/statement:

Breeding and showing these dark tans is difficult. If you have really good clarity and blue color in your herd you will not do well with dark tans, they tend to turn out a slate blue color.
The chocolaty color desired by judges and people requires some red.

Was just wondering on this comment, as you said about the red tone to his fur. But I know beiges oxidize quickly, and the reddish tone is not desired.

Just some thoughts.

The chocolaty color desired by judges and people requires some red.

Was just wondering on this comment, as you said about the red tone to his fur. But I know beiges oxidize quickly, and the reddish tone is not desired.
Right, there's a difference between red in the fur shaft - red in the tip as seen in dark standards, or an overall red cast of the entire shaft - and oxidization, which turns them orange.

The extra dark tans that have done well at show always have a little bit of a dark fur tip to give that "chocolate" color instead of dull slate color. I need to update my site, people are far more likely to run into the red version with all the dark standards being bred into the lines these days.

Really, it's all in how the line you are working with acts. Just breed it out and see what it does.

My problem stems from the fact that I use and prefer extra light clear standards. The lighter the standard, the bluer it has to be to place well. :))

Thanks for all that info :) I recently got some nice herd improvement animals from Ronda, most being standards, and am breeding those back to my mutations, to improve the mutations' qualities to say the least. :) Thanks for all your help on this topic!

Latest posts

Back