what color are my babies?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizluck88

i'm no good at deciding on colors, but what i think i have here are...
one heterozygous beige, one very light heterozygous (or homozygous? is it evenpossible to have both in one litter?) and one brown velvet. am i even close? :hmm:

both mothers are hetero beige and father is brown velvet.
thank you in advance!

Nobody will be able to tell you without pics. You could have standard, beige, tov beige, black velvet, homo beige, and tov homo beige.

Without pics we can't be sure oof the colors. As posted before, those are the colors you can get out of that pairing.

It is possible to have both hetero and homo beige in the same litter, but all depending on the parents as well.

I agree with the above posts....one thing I have found helpful when I am pairing or coming up with different cross potentials is the Silver Fall Chin Cross calculator....

Chin Cross Calculator

I have never seen a homo beige with a blue ring. The cuffs should it is deffinetly a tov but not all of them have it. So I wouldn't go by that rule either.

I have been told my boy Jaq is a homo beige, and when comparing him to others I definitely think he is, he however does not have blue rings around his eye. So I would agree it may not be an every chin scenario.

ok i have finally had time to make my computer behave and upload the pics!
again, thank you everyone!

Attachments

• 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 69
The kit looks like a hetro biege to me. Possibly a tov, its hard to tell in kits cause the veiling grows in as they age. But doesn't look like a homo beige unless the pictures are very dark.

Looks like a beige. If it is tov the vieling should start showing with age, but at this point looks like a beige

first two kinda hint at TOV to me but again, hard to say for sure until they grow a little.
last one I think Het beige....

cuties tho!!

True homo beige have blue rings around there eyes. True hetro to hetro will anyways but there is always the odds of not. Every homo ive seen that is proven to throw all beige and is a true homo always as blue rings. TOV dont always have cuffs but well bred black velvets do and tov usally do.

the three pics are all three different kits. they are a little darker than the pictures let on... my camera takes awful pictures most of the time (that's what i get for picking the cheaper one, right?). no matter how much i tweaked and adjusted, the pictures turned out super light.
i have noticed they are all getting a bit lighter as they grow, they are one week and two days old today :)
i'm about 99.8% sure that at least the medium colored one is a hetero beige, but the other two are iffy to me still...
in a week or so i will post more pics for more opinions!

1st and 3rd appear to be TOV beige to me and the 2nd kit looks like it could be a TOV tan as I don't see a white belly. It would be easier to see the colors if you could get a simple side shot of the babies on a white background outside of the glass. Cute pictures, but not great for deciphering color. You can hold a kit by the base of the tail to keep them from moving so much.

Below is a picture of my husband holding a kit by the tail for a picture. She was super squirmy and he wanted to show me what I had born while I was at school.

Attachments

• babytailholding.jpg
    babytailholding.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 41
thank you for the picture advice! i tried the glass to keep them still, we couldn't get pictures otherwise (unless you count the tip of the tail or a tan blur, hehehe). i will try it that way for their next photo session ;)

here are some new pictures i just took tonight. we had to come up with a new "keep those little boogers still!" method because they all went nuts when we tried to hold the base of their tails!

picture 1- i think this little girl is a brown velvet.

picture 2- this little girl has weird light colored circles around her eyes. i also noticed that she has some darker patches on her head and back, i'm not sure if it is dark spots coming in or just that the lighter hair hasn't covered her completely (i guess i should pay better attention from now on!) also, i can't tell if she has blue eyes or if that in the picture is just a weird reflection on her eyeball. what does everyone else think? i'm guessing that this is either a hetero or homo beige? i'm still fuzzy on the difference there sometimes. this is the sibling to the kit in picture 3.

picture 3- my little boy! i believe he is a hetero beige. this is the sibling of the kit in picture 2.

Attachments

• pizap.com10.071109850890934471343370563001.jpg
    pizap.com10.071109850890934471343370563001.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 50
  • pizap.com10.172587751876562831343370930561.jpg
    pizap.com10.172587751876562831343370930561.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 50
  • pizap.com10.066349705215543511343371073291.jpg
    pizap.com10.066349705215543511343371073291.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 48
Honestly, it looks like you are dealing with some ebony in that mix, hence the variations in color and patchiness but all looking hetero beige. Does the first one have a white belly?

My guess would be #1 - Tov hetero beige/tan #2 Tov? homo beige #3 Tov homo beige.

But in all honesty I'm not sure on these, if they were born here I'd wait until they were 8-10 weeks to mark down their colors. By weaning they should be starting to get more veiling in.

Can't wait to see them in a few months!

Latest posts

Back