What can I do?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simplymee

Nimbus <3
Hi everyone~

So I've officially have had my chin for a week now and I've had a couple questions.

1: Can chins see in the dark?
I have my chin in my room where when I want to sleep it becomes pitch black. My chin wakes up around 8-9pm and then starts to play. I don't sleep till 2-3am. Once the lights are out, It starts to get louder with the landing and wall hoping. When I turn the lights back on, everything is back to normal.. After awhile of just ignoring his wall bouncing, it gets very quiet like he gets bored and just gives up. I feed bad..

2: my chin's poop has suddenly gotten a bit softer then before and also are getting larger in size. What do I do about the soft poop?
I'm only feeding him his oxbow pellets and his Timothy hay. At first I thought it was because I was feeding him rolled oats but I stopped feeding him that and they're still soft. It's been about 3days since I stopped and it's still happening. I read somewhere to stop his pellets for a day and only feed him his hay. But I wanna be sure before I actually do it. He's had willow sticks also along with apple sticks but only eats the bark. Does that effect the poop?

3: At night, he's always by his doors and standing on his hind legs looking out or at me. He looks like he wants out or to play but I always give him 10mins of play time earlier on the day cause he's still a kit. 9week. When he's at the doors, he'll pace back and forth also making a whiney noise. As people say, the squeaky wooded door sound. It makes me sad but I can't do anything because I let him out already and I need to sleep. He has dangling wood to play with but doesn't want it. He has a lava ledge but seems to be getting bored of it. And any of the toys I have for him, he's not interested. All he really does at night now is want to come out, nibble a bit on the hay, nibble a bit on the lava ledge, nibble a bit of his pellets and a bit of his wood. Then he just repeats... Is there anything I can do about this to entertain both him and keep my mind from feeling bad?

I know this is a lot to take in but I'm a first time chin mother and I'm just very nervous and want what's best for my little guy.

Since he is under 6 months old, you don't want to be givin him any treats.

Wood should not be giving him soft poo. Hay and pellets should be fresh so change them daily.

As far as entertainment goes... He's too young for play time but you can still hold him and try to carry him around(provided that he lets you). That attention might make him feel a bit better. Sit by the cage and pet/talk to him.

You don't want too many ledges in the cage since he's so young so that won't work.... Maybe a low hammock if you don't have one?

Both my chins are in my room and I always leave a nightlight on for them. It's not very bright but it makes me feel better. :p They get play time so they're not really bored. They both love their cages as well. Otherwise I just ignore their nightly antics lol.

i think they realize we are near and not paying them the attention they want and decide to get even. When i had to put my chins in my room for a few days they went crazy when i would try to go to sleep. Running on there wheel and hoping around. Making all kinds of noise. The moment i got up and went over to them they would stop. I lay back down, they start up. - I swear they know what they are doing' lol :pillowfight:

1. Yes they can. They are very active during the evening.

2. No treats til 6 months. Properly prepared wood should not affect his poop. Try the hay only and if that does not work get a fecal done.

3. Give him lots of toys. He will always want to come out but is too young for long playtimes.

1: Can chins see in the dark? Yes and no, technically they cant in 100% dark, but they are VERY good at seeing with VERY low levels, that we may not even see. (To see anything light must reflect off an object and hit the retina of the eye) A button on a power cord or moonlight from around a curtain may be enough.

2: Pellets, hay and sticks should be fine, as long as they are all healthy chin-safe choices.

3: A variety of toys (things to chew), and when he's older, ledges will solve the boredom- he will probably always try to guilt you into things though. :)

Back