What can I do to help my new chin settle in better?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Cassadaga

I got a six month old chin yesterday from a former breeder. In his old home he was cagemates with his dad and brother and seemed incredibly happy and energetic. All he has been doing since we got home is sit on the ledge looking angry. I don't think he has been eating anything but his poop and he hasn't slept yet.

Are these things normal? How can I make him feel better?

Yep that is an excellent place to start. If you have more questions after reading through that, let us know.

Thanks for the link kaykay!
I tried singing to him and he came up to the bars and watched me.
And then I read to him and he almost fell asleep!
He is so cute.

And this morning, I tried to coax him to come see with some hay,
and he climbed right up onto my arm!!

Sounds like you're making some good progress there! Just remember to take it slow, on his terms, and you'll be well on your way to bonding with your new little boy!

I haven't tried singing to mine yet but sometimes my boyfriend plays guitar right by their cage and one of my chins absolutely loves it, he'll get as close to my boyfriend as he can in the cage and just stand up and watch him the whole time, it's adorable :)

It's so funny how enamored chins are with us. we always think and talk about how obsessed we are over them, and this thread reminded me that it can go the other way too. I've also always looked at heat as a bad thing with chins, and recently found out how much one of my chins loves the hairdryer on her. She'll just about fall asleep on my leg, laying completely on her side when she hears me turn it on. Guess it's a great reminder to look at things in different ways. As for easing the transition, stick to a routine, as well as you can of course. I've had the best luck with my guys when they are on a specific routine of morning, afternoon, and night. Of course it dosen't have to be by the minute, but keeping things happening on schedule, lets them know to prepare for you before you come. It also lets them know to get excited when you come close because you'll be bringing something special. First impressions are important with chins, and something special in your hand when you come to see them is always a good thing. Yea, it's a bribe, but why not, you don't have to continue with a treat every single time you come near. Make it small, but that way they'll associate your arrival with yummy treats. Otherwise, enjoy it, don't stress too much, you want this time to be special, not worrisome. - Jessica

SOunds like your on the right track. ALot of times if I have a newbie I will just go sit in the room with them and talk about nothing. My Mom thinks I lose it but it works. They get used to my voice and can come sit and watch me watch them..I call it the chinnie standoff. BUt it doesn't take long before I can move closer and so do they.

Good luck. Sounds like you are off to a good start. He'll come around. It just takes some adjusting. You got to remember "everything" is different for him now so it make take some time but it is well worth it.

He is alot better now :) When I let him out for playtime, he will come sit right on my lap. He's done a complete 180.

Latest posts

Back