What / can human sicknesses affect chinchillas?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahKay

Mother of Zeb and Roo
I searched for this in FAQs and didn't see it so I was wondering: if I'm sick, should I stay as far away from the chinnies as possible? I think I have some sort of stomach flu at the moment that has traveled through 4/5 of my family and although I didn't realize there was something really wrong with me until after visiting them and changing their food, I've been staying away ever since. Is this unnecessary? They always make me feel better so if I'm allowed to have chinchilla cuddle time I would love to do so. :D (PS - if I don't change their food and water and such, they're not going to perish. There are two capable and much less sick adults able to step in)

IF you have to get near your chins, I would wear a mask and gloves but with a stomach flu, I would stay away from them as much as possible. Hope you feel better soon.

The flu and Strep have been known to kill chins, even though some people will say they aren't transmittable. I know of several cases where people had wished they had listened. A very well known judge who judged an Empress show a few years back wore a mask the entire time. She said she was ill and would not go into her own barn without one, and that she would not risk others chins by having her face uncovered.

If you get cold sores, stay away from your chins also. Herpes simplex 1 kills chins, there is no cure and the process of dying is horrid since it is rarely diagnosed in time to be PTS.

Eek, thank you. Glad I realized and backed away. I'm going to keep monitoring them and see how they're doing.

When in doubt I wear a mask, better to be safe than sorry. And reguardless you should always wash hands before and after handeling the chinchillas

I went down to say hello today. I'm definitely not sick anymore; I've just been a little dehydrated following the grand panic. They both fortunately look very nice and healthy and were quite excited to hop on the fresh hay I offered. I'll continue to monitor as always though. Thank you all for your advice and I will take what you've said to heart in the future.

My opinion is this--if you are sick and are not willing to go into work or school because you a. don't feel well, and b. don't want others to get sick you should definitely stay away from all the animals you own and not just chinchillas

Latest posts

Back