What cage do you prefer?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks great. Only thing I noticed that woud worry me...in picture 5, I see the piece of granite is hanging over the edge a couple inches. I would worry that if your chin jumped on that edge, it could fall and seriously hurt him/her. If you take the piece to Lowe's, they'll cut the granite with their wet saw for free. They did mine even thought I bought my granite at Menards.

I have a Ferret Nation 142 and a Critter Nation 161(it also comes in a 2-story). I would recommend both. The only complaints I have is that sometimes if you dont pay attention when closing the doors right, they'll pop back open if a chin leans against it. And my other complaint is the plastic bottom pans. My chins LOVE to chew them. I would recommend getting the metal Bass pans. Other than that, both cages are great!

As an alternative, I have the Marshall Folding Ferret Mansion. It's less expensive, really big, and collapsible for easy moving. It was really easy to put together. The wire grid shelves and ramps made me nervous, but I wanted to wait a bit before dropping a bundle on tons of wood shelves, so I covered all of the wire shelves and ramps with fleece and velcro & added a few cheap marble tiles from home depot, so she'd have plenty of warm and cool places to sit. I've added a few wood and lava ledges and perches to add interest, but I haven't needed to get rid of the wire grid shelves and ramps. As long as they are covered with fleece, my muppet can't get hurt and she seems to love all the space to play. Also fits a huge 16" diameter wheel for running. If you're interested, I'd be happy to take some pics of what I've done with her cage to make it safe and lots of fun!! Just let me know

jp8278 I just pm'd you! was wondering if that cage can be divided in half? I'm having the same debate over what cage to get!

Thank you for all the helpful suggestions everyone! Yeah, I tried taking the ramps out, and maybe it was just my imagination, but my lil girl seemed confused and like she was staring at me thinking "what did you do that for?" Also, on occasion I found that she'd slip, miss a jump and fall, especially when she was dusty! She didn't flinch of course, but it made me nervous. Half of the time she doesn't even bother with them, but until I can add more ledges, I feel like it's safer for her to have the option than to take them out.

As for the tiles, good call!! I've totally been meaning to have them cut down, but mostly for cosmetic reasons. I was worried about the very same thing, so there are little metal clips on the outside that hold them to the shelves. And truth be told, they're pretty thick and heavy to begin with, so I'm not sure she could flip them even if she wanted to!!

Definitely need to make those upgrades though, so I appreciate the reminder!!

jp8278- Your cage looks good, thx for the pics...I am going to have to go to Home Depot or Lowes and have them cut some ledges for me!

Printed this...I'm totally calling to see if they wil match the price...I've got 3 pet smarts in my immediate area so wish me luck

Just found this on Amazon. Pretty good price:

Ferret Nation 141 for $122.66. Free Super Save Shipping.

Just found this on Amazon. Pretty good price:

Ferret Nation 141 for $122.66. Free Super Save Shipping.

The FN 141 is normally around that price or less in a few places. The FN 142 when on sale at Amazon is a super great deal at $149 with free shipping. I haven't seen that price ($149) for a FN 142 since last year.

The FN 141 is normally around that price or less in a few places. The FN 142 when on sale at Amazon is a super great deal at $149 with free shipping. I haven't seen that price ($149) for a FN 142 since last year.

Wow, $149 for a 142 is cheap! Oh well, I need a cage right away, this is the cheapest one I could find for the time being. Free shipping definitely helps though. Most online distributors seem to charge upwards of $25-$50 for shipping.

I seem to be in the minority, I have this cage but it's three stories

http://www.petco.com/product/13557/...llas.aspx?CoreCat=SmallAnimalFC_CagesHabitats

I didn't buy it, it came with the chinchilla. The only thing is she chewed the plastic clips that hold the metal part to the plastic bottom part :impatient:
As long as no one tries to pick up the cage or move it, its not an issue. I about 5 lava ledges, She loves to perch on the highest one.

A few years ago I found a HUGE and I mean FREAKIN HUGE handmade cage at the dump. They have an area where you can leave stuff that you dont want anymore but isnt really trash. The cage was like 6 feet wide and 4 feet high, complete with several built in shelves and sliding plastic doors. I took it apart and took it home. It was great, except it was made out of wood and they eventually chewed a hole right through it. It came with heating lamps and one of those hanging nests, so I'm not sure what used to be housed in the cage.

So glad I found this thread! :]
My chin needs a better cage and I was wondering what experienced chin owners recommended!

A question, do you order your cages online or buy at local pet stores?
Does anybody know of pet stores that would match online prices?

Sorry if these questions are silly!

Latest posts

Back