What are your thoughts?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeoMonster

I'm starting *or trying to start* weighing Leo daily. The past two nights I've tried to weigh him by juts putting him on the scale or putting him in a plastic bowl and then putting that on the scale.

He hates both.

I found this video on youtube, and this woman uses a fleece bag. I would like to know people's thoughts on this as it seems like it may be helpful for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptetnvgs-1U

I give my chins half a shreddie and just hover my hands over the scale so they don't jump put. However, other people have been able to train their chins to jump in the scale to get weighed.

Why would you need to weigh him every night, is he ill? Once a month should be fine if he is well. Every night would stress him out I think

I use a small cage that I keep on the scale to weigh my chins. Just make sure that you tare it before putting the chin in each time. This way I do not have to worry about the great escape on weigh in days - lol!!!

Have you tried a few oats to entice him? Tap the scale. Call his name. Waft the oat under his nose. Repeat until he's on it. If you associate the behavior with a positive end result (and he realizes that he still has a choice), it'll be a lot easier on both of you.

If you try to train him one way to keep him on the scale is to put your hand in front of his eyes so he can't see. You don't need to touch him. That's how I weigh my chins. I just place them on the scale and then put my hand in front of their eyes. They normally stay still long enough to weigh them.

Okay thanks for the tip. I need to get a new scale because the one I have is way to small. Does anyone reccomend something without walls vs one that does (ie. The one in the video)

Latest posts

Back