What are safe for chinchillas to chew on?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stineb

I just got two chinchillas and I am giving them a new cage tomorrow. The only thing in it are two plastic shelves for them to sit on. Because I am keeping them in my bedroom I don't want to have any wooden material in there because it makes too much noice when they chew on it. Are there any other option for things they can chew on?

If you don't like the sound of them chewing, IMO, chinchillas are not the pet for you. They are rodents, they have continuously growing teeth and NEED things to chew on to wear them down. Wood is the #1 thing they chew on. Nothing else is going to wear their teeth down as good as wood.

I've seen other things used for shelves, sure, like solid metal shelves, or even wire mesh (small mesh, think 1/4" x 1/4" openings), but in the end, you still will need something for them to chew on... which will likely be wood.

If you don't like that sound... well.... you'll either need to get used to it or get a pet that doesn't quite chew that much, because believe me they chew. If they don't have access to things to chew on, their teeth can grow too long, and that causes a whole 'nother host of health problems.

The only other thing I can really think of that chins chew on, other than wood, are pumice, loofah, and cardboard. Personally, I think the cardboard is louder than the wood. But everything else I keep thinking of to type here is wood. They're chins, they chew wood. That's just how they are....

I'd be wary of any kind of mesh shelf-toes can get caught and legs can break, and it can also lead to sores on thier feet. But chins NEED to chew. Pumice/lava stone for chinchillas is a good chew, but I dont think a ton of those ledges would be enough to outfit a chin cage. loofah and cardboard are probably too soft to file the teeth enough. Chins NEED wood to chew. Usually owners provide specially prepared sticks of chin safe wood along with wood shelving.
Fleece covered PVC with no seams showing is an option in addition to wood shelving, but no matter what, chins are going to need chews.

Both my chins are in my bedroom and they get loud.
I simply just deal with it. They're my pets, so it's my fault that they disturb my sleep. I'm not going to fail to provide something they need just for my own comfort.

How large is this cage? If she shelves are plastic, you need to cover them up.

You'll need to put in some ledges. Two shelves is not adequate for chins. A fleece tube is a great thing to get them... Both of mine love theirs dearly. A wooden house is nice but I find them louder than the ledges when it comes to chewing. Again, it doesn't bother me.

If you do not want to use wood ledges, give them PLENTY of chews(sticks, pumice, etc...). Also offer timothy hay and other types of hay. Botanical is a favorite of mine.

I sleep with earplugs so I can sleep undisturbed and he can chew/play to his heart's content and not bother me.

Is there another air conditioned room you could put them in?

They have to have things to chew on no matter how loud it is. I think pumice and cardboard are both just as loud as wood.
If you leave just the plastic shelves they will chew those. That's loud too.

It is dangerous for chins to chew plastic so I'd take them out and replace them with a safe material, but as the others said it is a must for them to chew on wood and you should have known that when you got them. Their teeth can overgrow if they are not worn down and that leads to other serious health problems. For the shelves I would at least cover them with fleece so they can't get at them or replace them with metal shelves, but they are much harder to obtain than wooden ones. They can have cardboard to gnaw on however I'm not sure if it completely wears down the teeth, wood will always be better, maybe if you keep wood in the cage and take it out when you're going to bed it might work but I can imagine they will get bored without anything to do for the night, you could invest in a metal wheel or saucer so they can have at least one thing to keep them occupied.

Even though I do not have my own yet I know I will be able to deal with the noise, if not I will be able to get used to it soon enough. They will make noise even if you don't have wood in the cage, other materials will always cause some sound and even just jumping around can get loud. As others suggested you could try seeing if you can keep them in another room or try earplugs, I'd feel guilty to not let the chins get what they need for my own comfort. A possibility is if you are able to let them out in your room for a bit before you go to bed they might be tired and sleep/be calmer until you are asleep so then it might not interrupt you as much, it really depends.

Anyway, good luck!!

Back