What are considered treats?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elbee

I am getting a 3 month old baby chin soon and I am getting everything together in her cage. I know they aren't supposed to have treats before 6 months of age. Are apple and pear wood etc. considered treats? I have a toy for her made from all different woods and I wasn't sure if she could have that now. I also have rose hips I know I should wait on and some hay cubes and chin biscuits. Thanks in advance.

never ever give peach wood, it's toxic, i give mine willow, grape vine and apple, she loves the apple and is perfectly happy with them as treats,i've had her since she was 3 months old and she has been a little buzzsaw since the day i got her.
i've heard people reccomend rose hips when they're old enough, but i've never given her those, once in a blue moon she might get a dried marigold with her timothy hay.

I was told if the fruit has a pit stay away from those woods.

You can give them plain shredded wheat, goji berries. wood, staceywolf (I think that is the person) she makes cookies, rose hips.

Any food that isn't pellets and hay is a treat. Wait 3 more months before you offer safe food treats like rose hips or rolled oats, and only give those a couple times a week at most. 6 mo is the recommended age for access to a wheel too; little babies with wheels tend to spend more energy on fun stuff (running) than important stuff (growing).

My chin boo boo loves an occasional cheerio (plain) or corn flake. I also give him uncooked oatmeal, not the instant kind. A few of flakes and he's happy.

Latest posts

Back