What all should I know before getting a chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BouncyChins

Future Chin Owner!
Hello! I have 3 guinea pigs and am looking into adopting a chinchilla, I've done lots of researching but just wanted make sure I know all I need to before getting one! I've been reading lots of different advice from so many people I don't know what is "correct" and what's not! So I was hoping that I could get some good pointers from here! I don't know where to even start!! lol! So if anyone could direct me to a good source or tell me here about anything and everything I should know before getting a chinchilla that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

Chins are very different from guinea pigs, and really any other rodent. Lychinchillas wrote up a chins 101 not to long ago, I can't find the post but the link to the website is http://lychinchillas.com/2015/01/14/chinchilla-basics-101/. It doesn't have everything but is a good run down and a place to start. I would also strongly suggest you spend time surfing around this forum, there is a wealth of info here.
Another thing that is very important is find a chinchilla knowledgeable vet before you even get the chin. Most chins never need to see a vet but when the do they generally need one right now, so having at least one vet that knows chins is a must. Also being exotics the vet bill can get big quickly, hundreds for minor stuff, thousands for emergencies.

Thanks!! I have heard chinchillas are for more advanced owners oppose to how guinea pigs are for beginners, so I do tend to worry that I won't give it the correct care! I do know I don't want to be sprayed!!

When you do your research, make note of the differences between a male and female chinchilla (besides the obvious one). The females are the ones that spray when they're scared. Males do not spray, but you should read about hair rings and what will be required to check him on a regular basis (and possibly remove a hair ring). Sometimes, that's enough to make you want a female:) I have two males, but luckily only one had a hair ring once.

Oh I've decided on getting a male already because of the females spraying and I have read about hair rings and watched a video showing how they looked, occurred, and how to remove them!! thanks for telling me tho!!! :)

Hello! I have 3 guinea pigs and am looking into adopting a chinchilla, I've done lots of researching but just wanted make sure I know all I need to before getting one! I've been reading lots of different advice from so many people I don't know what is "correct" and what's not! So I was hoping that I could get some good pointers from here! I don't know where to even start!! lol! So if anyone could direct me to a good source or tell me here about anything and everything I should know before getting a chinchilla that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance :)
I dont know if this is considered advertising, but I have a blog and I posted an article on chin diet/housing and some of the basics. You can check it if you like. Theres some real good info on the forum itself, too. Feel free to ask questions.
We dont bite.
Atleast most of us dont :crazy:

http://lexieslilchins.blogspot.com/

1. Chinchillas need colder environments! Ideally around or under 70°. (Do not blow fans on them)
2. They poop like crazy, they end up all over my room. But they don't smell, just like little hard coffee beans.
3. Most Chins don't like to be held, but love chin, cheek and belly pets :)
4. They need much larger cages than guinea pigs, with lots of levels and ledges to jump to.
5. You need to be there daily to attend to your chin. Playtimes outside of cage should be a MINIMUM of 30 mins to an hour. (Some chins prefer to stay in their cage to it depends)
6. CHEW TOYS!! Chins love and need to chew on wood to file their teeth down. (Make sure to get chin-safe wood)
7. Chinchillas don't smell at all as long as you clean their cage properly :)
8. They are nocturnal.
9. They live a long time! Up to 20-25 years.
10. Chinchillas are very sensitive animals. Chin owners NEED to have the time, money and knowledge for caring for this amazing animal.

That's all I can think of now :)

Chinchillas poop a lot. You should exercise him/her daily, and for 1 hour+. Some treats for them are rose hips and raisins. You should only give them 1-2 raisins a day, and at the most 3-5 times a week. If your chin starts to have diarrhea though from it, you should cut them back. Try to use either Mazuri or Oxford grain pellets, never any other brand. Avoid the "Party Mix" by Kaytee.. And when you get him/her a water bottle, try to get a glass one as they love to chew. Avoid plastic in your cage at all costs. My chin's favorite chew toys are made of apple wood. Most bird toys are also suitable for chinchillas. Try to maintain a temperature in the the room of which you keep your chin at around 63-72 degrees Fahrenheit.

Chinchillas poop a lot. You should exercise him/her daily, and for 1 hour+. Some treats for them are rose hips and raisins. You should only give them 1-2 raisins a day, and at the most 3-5 times a week. If your chin starts to have diarrhea though from it, you should cut them back. Try to use either Mazuri or Oxford grain pellets, never any other brand. Avoid the "Party Mix" by Kaytee.. And when you get him/her a water bottle, try to get a glass one as they love to chew. Avoid plastic in your cage at all costs. My chin's favorite chew toys are made of apple wood. Most bird toys are also suitable for chinchillas. Try to maintain a temperature in the the room of which you keep your chin at around 63-72 degrees Fahrenheit.

No.

Chins dont need to come out every day. In fact, with a proper wheel in the cage, they dont need to have out time at all technically. And while letting them out now and then is fine (in a chin proof area), if you let them stay out to long they risk over heating.

Raisins are a no as well. Period. Chins can not process the sugars in them and they can lead to a lot of digestive problems/injuries. They should never have them. Or any fruit/vegetable/nuts for that matter.

Chin pellets are primarily made from hay; usually alfalfa.

Bird toys are often not safe for chins. Either from the type of wood or the density.

Back