Wetness around eyes?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayleighDUCK

Kayleigh
I have a 4 year old chinchilla named Penelope, and the past few days I have noticed that she seems to have wetness around her eyes, almost as though she's been tearing up or something. However, she is still acting fine and perfectly normal, jumping around and running on her wheel and wanting lots of attention, and she's eating and drinking and eating her hay fine, so? I'm just concerned, because this has never happened before. Any thoughts, please and thank you?

I'm having the exact same problem. My chinchilla Dory's left eye has been watering as well. But she still seems to be eating, drinking, and chewing fine, plus it's only her left. I also took her to the vet and got meds, but it's still watering. :C

My vet suggested that it might be something akin to a chinchilla "cold." The vet checked my chinchilla for respiratory issues and found none, and put her on a round of meds. If your chinchilla has been sneezing as well, then it might be a cold. However, if the wetness around the eye is goopy or green it might be an eye infection, which you will need to get eye drops for.

I don't claim to be an expert though, and it will be useful to hear other chin owners opinion on the situation. However, be aware if there is something wrong, even a "cold," going to the vet is inevitable.

I would suggest a vet visit. Eye discharge can be anything from irritation, a infection, or malo. The only way is to get it checked out

Back