Western New York - Chin Cooperative

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inzeos

Just wanted to judge the potential interest of creating an informal chinchilla cooperative for the Western New York area.

Basic idea is to establish a cooperative with membership (free). The cooperative would purchase chinchilla products in bulk and distribute them to members on a monthly/bi-monthly basis.

The cooperative could leverage our membership basis to purchase items in bulk at significantly reduced costs to the cooperative and the members.

An example of how this could work would be purchasing chinchilla feed directly from the source, shipped in if we cannot source it local to the area. Locally sourced chinchilla feed can run as cheap as ~0.50 cents or less per pound.

It would also be possible to potentially work on group buys to get discounts on items normally not offered.

If you're interested, PM me with your name (first and last initial or full name), your closest city (or actual city) and how many chinchillas you have.

My guess is our target region would be the greater areas of Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and possible down towards Corning.

Depending on what people are interested in we could offer typical monthly chinchilla rations, which could include feed, hay, toys and treats.

For those who like to be charitable we could have the option of purchasing supplies with a donation percentage and one without. Donations could be used to facilitate sending supplies to chinchilla rescues in our area and to the larger humane societies like Lollypop Farms, which are not chinchilla specific but see a high volume of small animals.

One of the ways I've been considering helping rescues in our specific area is to create new owner chinchilla care packages, which would include starter bags of feed, hay, treats, a chinchilla safe perch & ledge and a basic chinchilla care sheet printout.

I just PM'd you as well. I have a question, out of curiosity...how would I introduce a different brand of food to Trixie? She has always eaten KayTee, which I know many folks here do not like. If you use a different brand, just wondering how I'd make for an easy transition for her.

Going to be placing my first few orders for products to be distributed to people expressing interest in our small but growing cooperative.

We will be buying pellets and distributing them in the next week or so. We are still trying to get a local source for hay, which should happen sooner than later.

If you are interested in have not already contacted me please do so. It is good for you to provide me with your name, phone number, email, city and state if its not listed already and number of chinchillas.

I might have a line on inexpensive hay ($2.50/40 lb. bale). Transport from Ohio would be the issue, but since my family found the supplier, I think we can work something out. PM me if/when you're interested.

Also, what kind of pellets are you getting?

I might have a line on inexpensive hay ($2.50/40 lb. bale). Transport from Ohio would be the issue, but since my family found the supplier, I think we can work something out. PM me if/when you're interested.

Also, what kind of pellets are you getting?

Hey, I think we would probably be interested. I'm also trying to source it locally here since we have a good pile of farms. Do you travel via NY on your way to or from Ohio? Shipping / driving just for hay would probably make the price insanely unreasonable.

I'd love to help out however I can - obviously I don't need a supplier for anything but if there's anything I can do to make the lives of other WNY chin owners easier just mention it! :) I live near 3CsMommy (like, 5 minutes).

Latest posts

Back