were my boys lonely?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloverr

My fiance and I had to travel out of state unexpectedly last weekend, and a friend of mine stayed at our place to take care of the chins.
While I was away, my friend called, said the chins were drinking normally, and would take treats without a problem, but barely touched their hay or pellets.
Once I returned, I checked on them, everything seemed normal, although one of my boys was giving me the "silent treatment." When I woke up the next morning, they had finished all of their food, their dish was empty.
so I guess I'm wondering... did they not eat because they missed me? I didn't expect them to be lonely with each other, and my friend there to keep an eye on them and to let them play... I was just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences.

They could have been OR your friend might have overloaded them on treats so they didn't eat their hay or pellets. Chins are very hard to resist, they are so cute. So perhaps that happened. I do think chins are aware of what's going on around them, when they are used to seeing you daily I think they do know you're not around. So maybe they were melancholy without you. The good news is now that you're back they are eating like they should be.

A "What's going on? Where's mom?" bout of fasting is normal after a sudden change, but if your friend didn't know that and overdid the treats, they might have held out on eating *anything* to try to get more goodies too. :) One of mine was *very* good at manipulating and acting 'pathetic' when he wanted treats, an extra bath, etc., and at least one friend of mine fell for it *every* time. They're sneaky little buggers sometimes, and far smarter than we expect much of the time.

Latest posts

Back