Well visits?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kraucci

I haven't had to take Sam to the vet yet, thank goodness! Has anyone ever taken their chin on a well visit or anything? Is that something anybody has heard of or recommends?

Thanks!

Korie and Sam

I am a new chin owner also, was going to take my chin in for a well check just to find a good vet in case of emergencies. I would also like to know if a well check is good every so often, and how often.

I don't advise well checks, they can stress the chin out and create a problem (stress induced but also exposing the chin to sick animals at the vet). Your best bet if you want to actually see a vet to make sure they know what they are doing is do a meet and greet appointment, without the chin, so you can ask questions. It is very important to find a chin knowledgeable vet before you need one though.

Also most of what a vet would do on a wellness check you can do just as easily, and less stressfully at home. Weigh the chin (in grams since they are so small), look over the fur, feel for any bumps or lumps, check the feet for cracks or flakiness, check the front teeth, etc.

I don't advise well checks, they can stress the chin out and create a problem (stress induced but also exposing the chin to sick animals at the vet). Your best bet if you want to actually see a vet to make sure they know what they are doing is do a meet and greet appointment, without the chin, so you can ask questions. It is very important to find a chin knowledgeable vet before you need one though.

Also most of what a vet would do on a wellness check you can do just as easily, and less stressfully at home. Weigh the chin (in grams since they are so small), look over the fur, feel for any bumps or lumps, check the feet for cracks or flakiness, check the front teeth, etc.

You made some great points. Thank you for your input!

IMO, its not a bad idea for a well check to actually meet the vet, have the chin looked over and be on file as a patient, see how the chin reacts to the vet situation, chins also IMO don't stress out to the point of it being damaging, just the opposite, the more they are exposed to stress, the less they will stress. They do not need ongoing well checks.

I don't do well visits, but I have hundreds of chins. I don't think it's necessary for a pet owner to do, but I also don't think it will hurt to do it. It's up to you.

Latest posts

Back