Well..... fingers crossed!?!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCchin

We took Quito to the vet to check his teeth and where the abscess was removed.

The vet got the tools to look in his mouth and says things are fine. The incisors look really good, still ground down, even, great. The back teeth he could see looked fine and are wearing evenly. He said no signs of him being malo. There is a small lump where the abscess was, but the vet thinks it is scar tissue because the abscess was deep. So all good so far!

Quito is 645 g. The least he has ever weighed. But, he is eating hay, pellets, drinking and pooing. Can't feel any ribs. He was 682 g at the end of Oct. when we got his teeth fixed, but he was on a bad diet then. He eats a fair amount of hay, he used to eat A LOT but the vet thought the novelty may have worn off (since he didn't eat hay before).

There are a few things going on that I don't know how to interpret. He still rubs his mouth with his paws. He grinds his teeth some. He has started chewing his fur off (but we are running the heat a lot). His pellet bowl has pellet powder in it, like he grinds some of his food to powder. He also "cries" occasionally, sounds like a squeeky toy. He is feisty, but a good energy, attitude. But that may be normal. Maybe the new normal if everything is finally fine??

Welcome to my world, Lu has been to two vets, been filed, had all the x-rays and such, been probed, looked at by myself and no one knows why he still has dental symptoms. Its a hand feed for me until further notice. Quito my just be on a learning curve right now and as long as he is putting food in his mouth by himself that is a good thing. The weight will come back eventually but he still may have something going on in his mouth since those are all dental symptoms and you just have to twiddle your thumbs and watch and wait. Its a comfort for me and it should be for you that the teeth look great and its just somthing that will go away some day.....

I really feel for those of you who've had teeth issues as it must be really scary. I hope both of these chins continue to do well and become healthy.

Back