Weird Sounds?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheena lee

Lately, every once in a while I hear a squeak coming from one (or both) of the chinchillas - I don't know who's making the sound, they both seem fine.

It's not quite a bark, but it sounds maybe like the beginning of a bark. It's very short, low-pitched and happens only once. It's maybe like a squeaky grunt? I've heard it maybe 3 times this week. It's not a sneeze or a shriek, and neither of the chins seem upset when I turn around. I feel like it may have started when I started opening the window instead of putting on the AC when I'm home (cause it's really chilly outside now, and the fresh air is nice.) So maybe there's a new smell that's somewhat upsetting? They're not acting weird in any way, eating and drinking, pooping and peeing just fine. The only thing I changed recently was use aspen bedding instead of pine - not my choice, my MIL bought it and I hate it, smells awful in my opinion.

Has anyone heard the sound I'm describing (or trying to describe), or perhaps have any idea what it means?

sounds like an irritated "peep" like someone is getting in their spot or pushing them. Mine do it sometimes, and moms do it to tell kits they are biting or nursing too hard.

I've had chinchillas for over 30 years and have always found it to be strange that the only sounds they generally make at home in their cages is an occasional quick chirp or series of short barks generally when they're irritated ie. don't want to share the feeder, mother sore from nursing or irritated with her kits, female and male not getting along. These are always short, quick noises they'll sometimes repeat a few times in a row. But, whenever I travel with them in the car for shows or have them in my room at night in the hotel, there's always one that starts this long chirping and cooing noise that they keep repeating and then usually another one or two feels the need to join in and it goes on for the entire trip or all night in the hotel. I rarely ever here them make that noise when they're at home but, always hear it on trips. I believe it must be a nervousness reaction noise they make when they don't really know where they are and what's going on. I've always found that to be interesting about them.

My chins aren't bonded, so it's not one chin bothering the other.. I think maybe Abby does it in her sleep... having annoying dreams perhaps?

Back