Weird sleeping in lap behavior

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChurroChin

So we got our chin when she was 2 mo old. She has the strangest behavior where she actually sleeps on my lap when I'm sitting on the couch. She will basically burrow herself in my shirt and I'll cover her with my arms. If I uncover her she'll stir and wait for me to cover her again.

I thought this was really strange and was worried that she may get too hot. But she always does this. Her eyes will be completely closed and sometimes will fall in to such a heavy sleep that I'll have to wake her up when I want to put her back in her cage.

Is this normal? Should I be worried? Her eating and drinking is normal. Her poop is normal too. She'll sleep and wake up and want to play. I've just never seen or heard of this kind of behavior.

My Daisy used to do that. She liked to sit so she could hear my heartbeat. She stopped after a while in favor of running around the house but her and I have a very strong bond now. She was from a petstore so she was probably taken from her mother very young. That's what I always assumed at least :)

Enjoy it while it lasts!!!

Yea as long as she doesn't show heat signs I wouldn't worry, I miss my snuggly chin, they are a rare treasure. She probably feels safer when enclosed, mine liked my hoodie that was baggy. =P

Jealous here too...lol One thing that Ralph & Barbara Shoots taught me was that rather than petting your chin from head to tail like one would typically do it is cooler for the chin if you pet it from tail to head. That way the fur stands up and they don't get as hot.

gus will sit completely still as long as I am holding him to my chest and am standing up and walking around he dosnt budge and just loooks around where I roam with him in the house but the second I sit down he wants to be let go, weird but I wish he would nap on my lap too. Wouldnt this be amazing if chins could sleep in the bed with you and cuddle with you all night, or follow you where you went in the house and jumped up and climbed up to your shoulders and would chill on your shoulders also

You got a defective chin which you must give to me, she will live out her poor snuggly life in peace and happiness here! LOL So jealous!

Back