Weird noises while on wheel

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crabe

Ok I adopted a new chin (Harry) at 9 months. It's been just a little over a year. . . So I got Harry a flying saucer wheel. He loves it and runs constantly, but at night he literally pounces on it to start running and then he screams out 3 or 4 times. He never stops running while making the god awful heart wrenching noise either Not the fear call. Close to it but it's like it hurts him to be running on it. He's been checked out and all is good. He's been doing this about 3 months now. It's just so weird cause during the day he doesn't do it. Only at night. Also he's still so skiddish around me. And all noises. He's better around my husband, but still just so scared all of the time. He also watches my other chin like a freaking hawk. They don't like each other at all. Thought after a year he'd have adjusted a bit more. Has anyone had this?. Is he just a weird little guy? Totally fine if he is. He's he to stay just wish it was more pleasant for him.

We call that the death squeal of joy. Mine don't do it very often but then they do it makes my heart leap in fear each time. Every time I've checked on them they were happily playing in their cage.

Also friendliness depends on the chinchilla. Also as a prey animal he may just be happy to be in a big cage where he feels safe. Out time isn't necessary and one of ours usually skips it. Jackie still responds to us and lets us snuggle him while he's in the cage. I just think he's happiest in his own territory. Bonding can takes time and a scheduled play time can help. I've also noticed that the boys don't like big spaces and for a long time we did out time in a puppy play pen. Now they are used to the room they stay in but get scared in new places.

I hope this helps.

:hilarious:

I have yet to hear the death squeal out of my guy. Just those "alert" squeaks that sound like a dog toy.

Back