Weird Noises ... (Noise Sticky Wouldn't Work for Me)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NiftyKat

Crazy Cat & Rodent Lady!
Hello All!

Well, I've had my chinchillas for about 3 weeks now and I believe everything with them is okay! However, starting last night, Persimmon would make like a sight coughing noise, or like a big puff of air, and then do a whining thing. Knda of like a deeper and longer guinea pig squeal. I picked him up (which he still isn't too fond of) and checked him over, and he looks all fine. I gave them their cranberry this morning and he ate it fine, and normally I've been giving them a shreddy at night as someone was having slighly soft poos for a couple days when I had switched their hay (I however believe that was Plum), and I gave that to them this morning as well just to see what would happen, and I haven't heard him make the noise again since, which was about 30 minutes ago. I've heard him make this sound before a few times, but not the weird cough thing.

I'm pretty sure I am doing everything right. They've been eating Mazuri pellets, they have hay from Fresh Pet Select, lots of chew toys and sticks, they each get a hay cube evey couple of days, a cranberry or treat each morning, for the past week they've been getting a shreddy along with their supplement, spring water, every once in awhile some rose petals in their food, and temp. in the low 70's. Persimmon still acts normal.

I let them out to hop around on my bedroom floor for the first time for abou ten to fifteen minutes the night before. I know they didn't get into anything though as I blocked everything off and I was sitting with them while they were hopping around.

I looked at the sounds sticky on here and it just told me the link couldn't be found. Does anyone know what these sounds mean?

Thank you!

NiftyKat, not to harp, but I seem to remember your post saying your babies were 4-5 months old. I remember because we were getting similar aged chins around the same time. However, that means no treats until 6 months, and even then, no dried fruit! There is wayyyy too much sugar in them. Treats are also not really a daily thing. This could really be affecting their digestive process and could be causing some internal issues. Best not risk it :)

He could have some pain from digestion (remember what it feels like when you eat too much sugar...), he could have fallen, he could have just been trying to clear something from his throat, there are so many options that without the soundbite it is hard to say. Could you try uploading it to YouTube and sending us the link?

I've been giving them a cranberry daily as my breeder instructed me to do so until they got good and settled in, which I've only had them three weeks and I believe they still have a bit to go to feel totally comfortable. She instructed one to two cranberries or rosehips per day. This is all I've been giving them, along with the recent shreddy for their poos and a hay cube every couple of days. I know I overdid it the first few days, but they have a rhythm now. I do know no treats until they are six months, even then to limit them, but I trust my breeder whole-heartedly as she has been doing this for decades upon decades and is highly recommended. Therefore, I've only been giving them what she recommended and their supplement. I have other treats to try for them once they are bigger. Different flowers and what not.

Ever since I gave them their shreddy this morning (they won't be getting one tonight) he hasn't made the noise. I also am assuming he was trying to clear something out of his throat because he hasn't made either noise since and he's acting just perfectly normal.

Myzar and Gemma is right. No treats of any kind until they are 6 months old. Chins, regardless of age, do not require treats to adjust to a new home. Talk to them, hold them, etc. Feeding them the cranberries is causing the loose poo. Eliminate them complete and never give them again.

As far as your breeder goes, lots of people have been doing things for decades and don't really know how to do it right. I am not saying she/he is a bad breeder or stupid but rather they need to do some more research.

They actually never had loose poos until I switched their hay over to the new hay, which now it is under control. I got my chins from the Craners, which they know what they are doing. Giving them a treat a day was to more calm them down and help them acclimate.

I know the treat issue is a big deal and not everyone agrees on it. Therefore, I will not be discussing feeding them treats any longer on this thread. Some say it's okay, some say it is not. I am not being stubborn, I have just done my research and know this is a big issue among many, as is having them around cats. I already decided I would be giving my chins a treat a day awhile ago, and as they get bigger it will vary and not always be cranberries. However for now, I am listening to my breeder.

Thank you.

The quiet puff sound is annoyance. Try to be observant about what is going on around him when he makes it. Is the other chin too close or are you reaching for him when he makes it? I had a boarder for awhile that puffed at me anytime I came near his cage. I just puffed back at him each time and made it a game. He was a sweetie but very vocal.

Ageeed, The puff followed by what I call a distress call is the chin not happy. Doesnt mean they are hurt, just that they are mad at something right then. Perhaps still not adjusted. I get this most from chins that are newly introduced to different surroundings.

Thanks you guys. After I gave him the wheaty he quit making it so I had assumed maybe something had been caught in his throat and that loosened it up. However, he's the oldest (by a smidge) andis more laid back than the other two, so he could of been annoyed by them running around and making a ruckus. Or, like you said, he wasn't yet adjusted as he made that noise when I first brought them home. He's been fine ever since. Once again, thank you for the last two responses. You're was actually helpful. :)

Latest posts

Back