Weird magnet sounding teeth clacking

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x3ndless

Human Chin Jungle Gym
My chinchilla has been making some weird sounds from what i hope is her teeth. It sounds extremely close to magnets when there thrown together, so I took my chin and put her towards the fridge to see if it was a magnet but no so i think it might be her making those sounds. Her hearts beating just fine so I think shes breathing but shes been behaving less and less like her shes gnawing at her cage bars etc. Anyone have this happen before?

I believe she's just clicking her teeth. From what I understand they do that when they're in pain. Mine will do it every once in a while just because but very softly. How old is she? Has she recently gotten hurt?

Chins knawing on bars is normal. My oldest uses the bars of her cage as her favorite chew toy or sits there with her mouth on it like it's a binky. My youngest grips them with her teeth and runs her teeth up and down the bars.. It's just one of the quirky things they do...

Last edited:
I believe she's just clicking her teeth. From what I understand they do that when they're in pain. Mine will do it every once in a while just because but very softly. How old is she? Has she recently gotten hurt?

Chins knawing on bars is normal. My oldest uses the bars of her cage as her favorite chew toy or sits there with her mouth on it like it's a binky. My youngest grips them with her teeth and runs her teeth up and down the bars.. It's just one of the quirky things they do...

She had a sprained leg around a month ago, She landed a jump wierdly in her playroom but still ran around jumping like a maniac just like usual.

ohh poor thing.. Yea if she recently just had an injury than its probably a sign of pain. If you give me a second I will post a link to the thread in this forum that lists all the possible signs that your chin is in pain, because theyre a predatory animal they wont be obvious signs to show when theyre sick or in pain till its a HUGE problem...

Just to clarify, chins are NOT predatory animals, rather, they are prey animals who try to hide any illness or weakness from their predators.

Is the teeth grinding a new thing? One of mine grinds her teeth when she is bored or wants attention. It's not cause she's hurt or anything, just something she does.

But if this is a very sudden and new thing, you'll want to keep a close eye on her.

Latest posts

Back