weird fur

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chillimilli

Hey, I need your help and advise.

2 weeks ago I got 2 chinchillas from a lady that wasn't able to take care of them anymore.
One looks perfectly fine the other ones fur looks really messed up. Kinda like somebody took scissors and shortened the hair.
None of my chins ever had that.
Does anybody know what the cause of that is. I doesn't look like parasites because his buddy has nothing on him.
He takes regular baths, eats right and everything else looks healthy on him. What I noticed also is that he bites, not hard but none of my other chins ever bit me.

I hope somebody can help me.

Thanks, jamie

I agree with jags, sounds like fur chewing.

I read this in another thread and it's worded perfectly.
"Giving lots of things to occupy themselves can sometimes help, but sometimes chins will chew their fur no matter what."
S/he could even start chewing on the cagemates fur.

Giving s/he plenty of toys to chew (hanging and toss), a wheel, space to run, etc.... could help, but it's no guarantee.

Last edited:
Do some research on fur chewing. Its a bad habit like biting finger nails with kids. By supplying more chew toys and a interesting cage you might be able to lessen the chewing. Unfortunately once they start they may stop, lessen, or stop for a few days and start again for no apparent reason. The good thing is it does not harm the chinchilla in anyway. It just affects how he looks.

I haven't seen him chewing on his turf but then again I don't know what he does when I'm working or sleep.
He is the chin with the biggest cage and most toys in it.
They have a ferret cage, wheel, 2 hammocks, bunch of hanging toys, apple wood sticks, those chewing stones.
I was worried its something really bad or even life threatening.

Thanks for the answers.

Back