Weird eye problem...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sendra

Chin-zilla!
Okay, as I become more and more attached to this forum, I see how helpful it is in problems that arn't even related to chinchillas, hedgehogs, or other pets. So I've decided to ask you all for some insight.

Within the past few months, I've occasionally had a strange eye problem. My left eye seems to either A: Stop focusing B: Drift off course or C: Not dilate correctly. I'm not exactly sure since I can't really SEE the eye problem in the mirror correctly, but I've set up an appointment with my eye doctor for the 30th. As for diagnosed problems, I have extreme astigmatism to the point contacts are extremely uncomfortable so I wear glasses.

Anyone have any clue what's going on or had a problem like this?

that only happens to me when my contact gets cloudy. i also wear both contacts & glasses. while i love the freedom of the contacts and how they make me look well i feel like i have a piece of glass in my eye! i can not wait everyday when i get home to take them out. usually on rainy days i just wear my glasses. i also have an astigmatism, not extreme though, so when i wear my glasses it is just more "crisp".
definitely see the doctor, because if that becomes more common it might start to give you headaches.

My friend suffers from that, she was told to 'exercise her eyes' -eg, focus in and out, near and far, left to right.

If she did that her eye would become stronger and not be so lazy, shake and occasionally unfocused. She has never done it for some (laziness?) reason, but I do notice after going on vacation (more intensive eye use for driving, playing etc) her eye doesn't drift or shake for a couple weeks afterwards.

My friend suffers from that, she was told to 'exercise her eyes' -eg, focus in and out, near and far, left to right.

If she did that her eye would become stronger and not be so lazy, shake and occasionally unfocused. She has never done it for some (laziness?) reason, but I do notice after going on vacation (more intensive eye use for driving, playing etc) her eye doesn't drift or shake for a couple weeks afterwards.

Oh wow, I tried that for about 5 minutes and my eyes actually felt TIRED from focusing constantly like that. EYE WORK-OUT!
Thank you so much, I hope it helps me!

What I wonder about, though, is why now? This doesn't sound like something that has always been a problem for you... so what is going on that you now have trouble with focusing and having a drifty eye? It might simply be that you haven't used your eyes as intensely as you once did, so the muscles are getting weaker and this was something you've always been prone to and didn't know before. In this case, it would seem that eye exercises will help. Or it might be that there's a neurologic problem that is not getting the signals to your eye muscles properly. Or maybe something else. I'm not an eye doctor, don't know what the other possibilities are. Good that you've got a Dr appt though :) Let us know how it turns out!

I agree with equus - my friend was born with those problems (and no depth perception).

I was a little worried when I read your thread and saw your age too. Let us know how your appointment turns out!

I just wanted to sy I think the best thing is an eye appointment. This could be an ocular migraine depending on how long the symptoms last. But when it comes to your age and your eyes a visit to the doctor is a must.

I also have horrible astigmatism and despite the fact they tell you contacts are comfortable you and I know they aren't!

Luckily glasses are so stylish these days!

Strangely enough, the optometrist told me the same thing as Spoof did. To exercise my eyes. Well, more money for the eye doctor, I suppose.

Latest posts

Back