Weird Dust Bathers?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindy

So both my chins do weird things during their dustbaths and I'm wondering if it's actually weird or not.

Holly will roll around then start to kick dust out of her bath and consequently out of her cage. By the time I get there there's a mound of dust on the floor outside the opening of the dust bath.

Jack just likes to go in and fall asleep in his dust bath. he might do one or two rolls, but then he just...chills.

are any of these behavior problematic or is it just their personalities?

Well, I'm not an expert but I don't think I'd be concerned. Tinkerbell will go in her dust bath and roll around and around quite a few times, sometimes finishing the roll on her back with her feet sticking out of the dusthouse. She loves to spill some on the floor and when I end up taking out her dusthouse, she will dig and roll around in the spilled dust on the floor.

When I switched to a glass dust house I began to notice they mine dig in it with their front feet and seem to eat some of the dust. I always watch closely and even though they are moving fast and I'm not always at a good angle to get a good look, I do think they are eating some of it.

If ours spill dust outside in their cage they will push up their fleece liner and try to take a dust bath on the metal pan. Such silly chinnies.. :D

Hmmm. Mine do the nose down digging motion....like dog's digging in the yard....to scatter the dust around the glass jar before they spin around in it. Mine don't eat it. I like how chins remember where the errant dust is supposed to be (even after I've vacuumed it) and spin around on that area. I call it "ghost dusting".

Last edited:
My chinnie was like this until I got her Blue cloud dust and now I cant get her out of the dang thing!

Our chins do all kind of things. It seems like they each have their own special way of doing it.

I have some diggers. I have one that will not take a bath in front of people. He is so weird.

Baba will sometimes just stick to the digging and sniffing part. He'll attempt to do a roll and just rub his face in the dust. I have no clue why some days he does this and somedays he rolls like a "normal" chinchilla.

I think of it as little kids playing in the mud. You don't know what they are doing or why they're doing it, but it works for them and each one plays differently :thumbsup:

Back