weight loss???

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChilliPepper

I was all happy, thinking Chilli was doing great- he has had a huge appetite increase- before we would feed 2 tsp dry food mix at each feeding. 4 weeks ago, we upped it to 3 tsp dry twice a day, so from 4 tsp to 6 tsp total, then we increased to 4 tsp each feeding, so 8/ day. Last week, we added an additional feeding, so he is up to 10 tsp dry. The CC instructions are 2 tbsp/ kilogram. We feed a 50/50 CC/ ground pellet mix. We are currently feeding 3 tbsp + of the mix and after a playtime the other night, hubby weighed him the next night and he was down 30 mg from last weight a week ago. I know they fluctuate, but I am concerned we have something else going on here. Ravenous eating, weight loss? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Giardia can cause increase in intake and weight loss, due to the parasite robbing the body of nutriants, it can be silent.

CC, in my experience handfeeding many chins for long terms, I have had to feel upward of 120ml a day to keep the weight on some chins. I also have found the addition of a feeding of lifeline will help keep weight on.

Does this chin have malo? If so I have also found that no matter what amount I feed when it is nearing a filing they always lose weight.

He is 10 weeks out from last filing, so he probably is ready for another visit. Which is more nutritionally dense? The CC or the ground pellets? I will just keep feeding him as much as he will take. Maybe he is eating more because he is not getting enough calories from the pellets?
There are no signs of diarrhea, should I still see about a stool sample? What meds do they use for Giardia? Will it be difficult to give him? Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, this is my malo boy who just acts too darn happy to think about putting him down. Two nights ago when out for playtime, I actually had to say, No Chilli, don't chew the baseboards! No, Chilli, don't chew my chair! It was the first time in months he has tried to chew anything!

CC is made for handfeeding. Me, I have never been a fan of ground pellets for malo chins and never fed the 4 I had that. Lifeline might help you out, you can give him 10ml of that a day and see how it goes. Since LL is alfalfa based it has more protein than CC. Feed him as much as he wants.

A fecal float might not be such a bad idea if he is going to the vet anyway for a filing, since malo chins can have suppressed immune systems and are under some degree of stress, if there is giardia in the system it can flare up. This is what I was told my me vet about my malo girl who had silent giardia.

I was given albendazole orally with OraSweet for flavor, 5 days on, 2 days off, 5 days on. Now, I would not accept it since I do not think its the best choice to treat giardia, I would want flagyl.

Latest posts

Back